There are more than 4,000 registered churches in Kenya, belonging to an innumerable variety of religious denominations. They can range from very mainstream churches, to lesser – known evangelical and gospel offshoots.
Churches in Kenya are predominately Christian, though many different denominations and congregations exist within the population. Overall, more than three quarters of the population identify themselves as Christian (either Protestant or Roman Catholic). However, many Kenyans mix their Christian beliefs with traditional beliefs (such as belief in witchcraft).
Most of the well-established churches in Kenya have their roots in early missionary work, when Europeans first took an interest in the area and they saw an opportunity to preach to a wide new audience.
Mainstream Churches in Kenya:-
- Roman Catholics Church
- Anglican Church
- Full Gospel Churches
- Presbyterian Church of East Africa
- Africa Inland Church
- Methodist Church
- Baptist Church
Lately however, Kenya has witnessed the mushrooming of what are referred to as Pentecostal churches. In Nairobi, the most popular ones include
- Nairobi Pentecostal Church
- Nairobi Lighthouse Church
- Redeemed Gospel Church
- Deliverance Church
- Jesus is Alive Ministries
- Jubilee Christian Centre
Besides these denominations, there are numerous others with a significant presence in Kenya.
Religion in Kenya (2009 census)
- Catholic Population – 9,010,684
- Protestant Population – 18,307,466
- Other Christian Population - 4.559,584
- Muslim Population – 4,304,798
- Hindu Population - 53,393
- Traditionalist Population - 635,352
- Other Religion Population- 557,450
- No Religion Population – 922,128
- Don’t Know – 61,233
Islam is the second widely practised religion and the followers include the Sunni, Shia and Islamia. Muslims are about 10 per cent of the population.
Although Islam has spread throughout Kenya, the largest number of Muslims is found in the coastal region and North—Eastern Province.
Other parts of the country also have sizeable number of Muslims.
Kadhi’s courts have legal jurisdiction over personal law for the Muslims marriage, divorce and inheritance.
In Case You Missed It
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
- A Good Wife’s Guide – 10 things you need to DO to be a GOOD wife.
- Top 20 things men should never, ever, do — Just don’t do it
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 20 Things 20 – Year-Olds Don’t Get
- APPLICATION FORM TO MARRY MY DAUGHTER.