Nyamira County Overview
Nyamira county borders Homabay County to the north, Kisii County to the west, Bomet County to the south east and Kericho County to the east. The County covers an area of 899km2 and lies between 00 30’ and 0045’ south, 340 45’ and 350 00’ east. Its capital and largest town is Nyamira town.
Administratively the County of Nyamira has 5 districts namely Nyamira, Nyamira North, Borabu, Manga and Masaba North with 13 divisions, 33 locations and 88 sub-locations. Politically, the county has four constituencies namely West Mugirango constituency, North Mugirango constituency, Borabu constituency and Kititu Masaba constituency. There are 20 county assembly wards in the county.
Geography, Climate and Weather of Nyamira County
The topography of the county is mostly hilly. The most predominant features in the county include the Kiabonyoru, Nyabisimba, Nkoora, Kemasare hills and the Manga ridge. The county has two topographic zones which lie between 1,250 m and 2,100m above the sea level. The lower zones comprise of swampy, wetlands and valley bottoms while the upper zones are dominated by the hills. The high altitude of the region has enabled the growth of tea which is the major cash crop and income earner of the county.
The permanent rivers and streams in Nyamira include Sondu, Eaka, Kijauri, Kemera, Charachani, Gucha , Bisembe, Mogonga, Chirichiro, Ramacha and Egesagane. These rivers and several other streams in the county drain their water into Lake Victoria.
The major types of soil in the county are the red volcanic which are deep, fertile and well-drained accounting for 75 per cent while the remaining 25 per cent are those in the valley bottoms and swampy areas suitable for brick making.
The county has a bimodal pattern of annual rainfall that is well distributed, reliable and adequate for a wide range of crops. Annual rainfall ranges between 1200mm-2100mm per annum. The long and short rain season start from December to June and July to November respectively, with no distinct dry spell separating them. The maximum day and minimum night temperatures are normally between 28.7c and 10.1c respectively, resulting to an average normal temperature of 19.4c which is favourable for both agricultural and livestock production.
Education in Nyamira County
The County has 661 ECD, 510 Primary Schools: 247 Secondary Schools, 3 Public University Campuses and 15 Youth Polytechnics.
Economic Activities in Nyamira County
Agriculture is the backbone of the economy of this county. Tea, sugar cane and pyrethrum are the two main cash crops that are grown in the area. Food crops such as maize, beans and bananas are grown for domestic consumption.
Tourist Attractions in Nyamira
Tourist attraction sites in the county include Manga Ridge and Keera and Kiomachingi Falls.
Accommodation and Hotels
The Guardian Hotel Nyamira, Nyamira Tourist Hotel.
Nyamira County Jobs
Job opportunities for all qualified personnel and those who would wish to work with the County government of Nyamira are posted on the county website.
Jobs in Nyamira County are awarded on a free, fair and transparency manner in the need to fight corruption in the country.
To access these jobs click on the link: Nyamira County Jobs for the latest job opportunities in the county.
Nyamira County Tenders
Tenders in the county of Nyamira are awarded on a free, fair and transparency manner in the need to fight corruption in the country.
To access these tenders in the county click the link: http://www.Nyamira.go.ke/ for the latest tender opportunities in the county.
Constituencies in Nyamira County
The county has four constituencies namely;
- West Mugirango constituency
- North Mugirango constituency
- Borabu constituency
- Kititu Masaba constituency
Sub-Counties in Nyamira County
The County has five Sub-Counties, namely;
- Nyamira South
- Nyamira North
- Masaba North
Electral Wards in Nyamira County
Nyamira County has 20 electral wards namely;
Nyamira County Map
Nyamira County Contacts
County Government of Nyamira
Postal Address: P.O Box 434-40500, Nyamira