West Pokot County Assembly targets at setting legislations in all sectors that that are geared towards transforming West Pokot County into an economic power house in the region.
The constitution provides that; There shall be a county government for each county, which shall consist of a COUNTY ASSEMBLY and a COUNTY EXECUTIVE.
The County Assembly constitutes the legislative organ of government in the County Government.
The West Pokot County Assembly is constituted by The Speaker and 32 members. 20 elected Members and 12 Nominated Members.
The West Pokot County Assembly is located in the former County Council premises (at the Kapenguria township headquarters of West Pokot County). Kapenguria is about 36km away from Kitale Town along the Eldoret – Lodwar – Lokichogio Road. It is also about 450km North West of Nairobi City.
Roles of The West Pokot County Assembly
The County Assembly is established by the Constitution under Article 176 with a mandate to have legislative power of the County. The role of the County Assembly is to:-
- Vet and approve nominees for appointment to County Public Offices as may be provided for in The County Government Act or any other law;
- County legislation in accordance with Art. 185 of the Constitution;
- Approve the budget and expenditure of the County Government in accordance with Article 207 of the Constitution, and the legislation contemplated in Article 220(2) of the Constitution, guided by Articles 201 and 203 of the Constitution;
- Approve the borrowing by the County Government in accordance with Article 212 of the Constitution;
- Approve the County Development Planning;
- Perform any other role as may be set out under the Constitution or legislation.
West Pokot County Assembly Administration
- COUNTY SPEAKER ROBERT KATINA
- COUNTY DEPUTY SPEAKER
- MAJORITY LEADER KALEKEM SIMON LOKANYA
- MINORITY LEADER DAVID MOIBEN LONGARINYANG
- MAJORITY WHIP
- MINORITY WHIP
- COUNTY ASSEMBLY CLERK JULIUS ARIWOMOI