Pig Farming in Kenya
Today, pig farming in Kenya is considered to be one of the most lucrative business ventures in Kenya. People who are into pig farming can affirm that it is true. They will confirm that they have reaped quite attracting profits from pig farming.
The fantastic thing about this is that pigs can be raised as a small venture just to provide your family with food and nutrition. Not only this but you also have the chance of expanding it to become commercial. What do we mean by this? All that we are saying is that you can be able to venture more into this business for profit making purpose.
What to consider before starting pig farming in Kenya
For people who want to start farming, they should consider pig farming in Kenya because of various advantages it has over the other farming. One of the best reason why pig farming is better is because it is relatively easy to start and work with.
Well, in this article, we are going to discuss on the things that you will need to know about pig farming. In the end of this article, you will be the one to judge and choose the form of livestock farming that you will want to start and manage.
When it comes to pig farming, feeds is one of the things that should want you to work with this form of livestock farming. In many parts of the world, many people usually set their pigs free and let them roam scavenging for leftovers.
Many people in the rural areas do this but what they do not know is that, setting pigs free to roam about is against the law. What you should do is to always feed our pigs with the leftovers that you always have in your kitchen. If it is not enough, you can get the commercial feeds.
Benefits of Pig Farming in Kenya
According to the condition of Kenya, pig farming has many advantages. The main benefits of pig farming in Kenya are listed below.
- Pigs grow faster than other livestock animals and reproduction system takes less time.
- They grow faster by converting more nutrient/energy into protein.
- You can feed your pigs almost everything including roughage, kitchen garbage, agricultural waste etc. for reducing feeding cost.
- You can fulfill your daily family nutrition demands by setting up small scale pig farming in Kenya.
- You can start raising pigs with a very little investment. As pigs grow very fast, so you can turn your farm into a commercial stage within a very short time.
- Sow give birth of piglets twice a year and each time they produce about 10 piglets. And the gestation period is also very less (not more than 115 days).
- Pig farming in Kenya has a good return of investment (ROI) ratio.
- The weather and geographical location of Kenya is suitable for starting pig farming business.
- Pig meat has a huge demand in the market of Kenya.
- Great source of employment for the unemployed people. Even the unemployed educated people can also start commercial pig farming business in Kenya.
- You can also start raising pigs along with your current profession.
Pig Farming in Kenya – How to Start Pig Farming in Kenya
Setting up commercial pig farming in Kenya is not so easy. There are may things to consider and many tasks to do.
Pig Farming in Kenya – Selecting Suitable Farm Land
- Try to select a calm and quiet place far from the residential areas.
- Ensure sufficient supply of fresh water in the farm area. A water source like lake, pond, river etc. will be effective.
- The selected area will be very near from the market. So that you can easily sell your products and buy necessary things from the market.
- Consider availability of veterinary service near your farm land.
- Good transportation system.
- Low cost feeding elements help to reduce food cost. While selecting land consider this.
- Try to select land in village areas. Because in village areas, you can easily find cheap labor, feeding elements and lands.
Pig Farming in Kenya – Select Suitable Breeds
- A pair of bright eyes.
- Glossy coat.
- Alert and responsive to it’s surrounding environment.
- Good temperament.
- Good appeal to food.
- Easy and normal movement.
- Free from lameness or any other unnatural signs.
- Avoid purchasing aggressive pig.
- While purchasing, ask the producer about their health information, production history and other records.
Pig Farming in Kenya – Housing
Pigs are very strong and they need sturdy living quarters. Air circulation and shade are vital. Pigs are very sensitive to temperature. Generally, adult pigs are very sensitive to hot temperature and the piglets are affected adversely by cold temperature. So, controlled temperature can help to maximize the growth and production. Keeping the piglets with their mother in a separate house is a good idea. Separate the feeding and bedding place and try to keep the house neat and clean always.
Pig Farming in Kenya – Feeding
Feeding is the most important part of pig farming in Kenya. Because, good and nutritious food always ensure good production. Pigs can eat and consume both meat and grains. You can feed your pigs almost everything that includes roughage, kitchen garbage, agricultural waste, stalk from beverage companies etc. You can also feed your pigs cooked table scraps, vegetables etc. Corn is the main food of pigs. But, having a diet with protein from soybeans or cooked meat will be effective for pigs. Vitamins and other supplements also help to grow faster. Piglets need higher protein contained food than the adult pigs. Along with sufficient nutritious food, always serve them sufficient amount of fresh and clean water according to their daily demands. Sufficient fresh water helps to keep the pig healthy and this directly impact the profit from pig farming in Kenya.