P.O. Box 25512, Lavington 00603 Nairobi Tel.: 4450929 [email protected]
University of Nairobi, Kenya – Bachelor of Arts, Land Economics (Hons) M.I.S.K. (RV) Graduate of the University of Nairobi
• Nairobi School, Advanced Level
• Nairobi Primary, Common Entrance
Deputy Prime Minister & Minister for Local Government- 17th April, 2008
- Vice-President of the Republic of Kenya and Minister for Transport & Communications, – November – December, 2002
- Leader of Government Business, Parliament – July 1998 – May 1999 of Kenya
- Minister for Transport & Communications – July 2001 – December 2002
- Minister for Information, Transport & Communications – September 1999 – June 2001
- Minister for Agriculture – January 1998 – September 1999
- Member of Parliament for Sabatia Constituency ,Vihiga District – 1997
- Minister for Finance – January 1993 – December 1997
- Member of Parliament for Sabatia Constituency, Vihiga District- 1992
- Minister for Supplies & Marketing – May 1989- 1992
- Member of Parliament for Sabatia Constituency, Kakamega District 1989
- Director – Tysons Limited 1985 – 1989
- National Housing Corporation Land Economist 1984- 1985
National Dialogue and Reconciliation Committee Chaired by H.E. Koffi Annan, former Secretary-General, United Nations, after the post election violence.
• Team Leader, Orange Democratic Movement Party – 2008
Orange Democratic Movement (ODM):
• Founder Member of the Orange Democratic – 2007 Movement Party (ODM)
• Remains Senior Member of the Orange Democratic Movement Party
Liberal Democratic Party (LDP):
• Convener, National Finance Committee – Liberal – 2005 Democratic Party (LDP) Kenya African National Union (K.A.N.U.) Party Leadership:
• Secretary, Kakamega District – KANU Branch – 1989 – 1992
• KANU National Vice-Chairman & Member of the National Executive Council – 1992 – 2002
• Chairman – Board of Governors – African Development Bank (ADB) Group
• Member – World Bank Board of Governors
• Member – Kenya Parliamentary Committee on the Constitution of Kenya Review Commission 1998
At Constituency level:
General development and improvement on matters relating to the socio-economic well-being of the constituents.
• Completion of Vihiga District Headquarters
• Instrumental in the establishment of Mudete Tea Factory
• Education – improvement of completion rates in primary and secondary schools in Sabatia by 2001
• Health: – Sabatia Eye Hospital – only one of the two eye hospitals in the country
– Health centers or hospitals in each of the eight administrative locations in Sabatia Constituency.
• Initiated poverty alleviation programmes through improvement of education and provision of health facilities and transport infrastructure leading to life expectancy of 57 compared to the national average of 48.
• Instrumental in the establishment and fund raising for the Sabatia Constituency Development Fund (SACODEF), a KShs.27 million capitalized evolving micro-enterprise credit scheme – for youth and women groups and educational . scholarships.
At National Constituency level:
• Funds raised for various socio-economic projects – hospitals, educational institutions, social groups in all the 8 Provinces and several Districts in the Republic of Kenya.
Marital Status: Married with 3 children.
Date of Birth: 21st September, 1960.