National Council for Persons with Disabilities (NCPWD) in Kenya was established in 2004 after the enactment of Persons with Disabilities Act. It was gazetted for commencement in June 2004 with the exclusion of Sections 22, 23, 24, 35(2), 39 and 40 which provide for adjustment of public buildings and public service vehicles, access to communication by television programmes and telephone services.
The council is a semi-autonomous Government agency run by a 21-member-nominees of organisations for people with disabilities, Government ministries, the Attorney-General’s office, the Federation of Kenya Employers and the Central Organisation of Trade Unions.
Its core functions are to issue adjustment orders, formulate measures and policies designed to achieve equal opportunities for PWD so that they obtain education, employment and participate in sport and recreational and cultural activities. It works with the Government during the national census to ensure that accurate figures of PWD are obtained and advises the minister on international agreements on PWD. It recommends measures to prevent discrimination against PWD, sets up schemes and projects for self-employment of PWD, rehabilitates people with disabilities and registers institutions, associations and organisations that provide services for the rehabilitation and welfare of PWD.
The Council Mandate
The Council derives its mandate from the Persons with Disabilities Act, 2003 which established it and outlined its core functions as follows:
- Formulating and developing measures and policies designed to achieve equal opportunities for PWDs;
- Cooperating with the government during the National Census to ensure that accurate figures of PWDs are obtained;
- Issuing orders requiring the adjustment of buildings that are unfriendly for use by PWDs;
- Recommending measures to prevent discrimination against PWDs;
- Encouraging and securing the rehabilitation of PWDs within their own communities and social environment;
- Registering persons with disabilities and institutions and organizations giving services to PWDs; and
- Raising public awareness on Disability
In Case You Missed It
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
- A Good Wife’s Guide – 10 things you need to DO to be a GOOD wife.
- Top 20 things men should never, ever, do — Just don’t do it
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 20 Things 20 – Year-Olds Don’t Get
- APPLICATION FORM TO MARRY MY DAUGHTER.