Softkenya provides affordable Website Design, Web Hosting, Domain Registration and Digital Marketing Solutions to small businesses. If you have a Limited Budget and need a way to Advertise Your Business / Product you are at the right place. Visit this page: Softkenya Web Solutions.
Mombasa County, is the smallest county in the province, covering an area of 229.7 Km2 excluding 65 Km2 of water mass. The county is situated in the South Eastern part of Coast Province. It borders Kilifi County to the North, Kwale County to the South West and the Indian Ocean to the East.
Administratively, the county is segregated into seven divisions, eighteen locations and thirty sub-location and hosts six constituencies namely Mvita, Changamwe, Jomvu Kuu, Likoni, Kisauni and Nyali.
The county hosts Mombasa city which is gateway to East Africa and the Great Lake counties and a home to almost all the Kenyan’s ethnic communities.
Population distribution and settlement patterns in the county are influenced by proximity to roads, water and electricity facilities. The population is also concentrated in areas where there is availability and accessibility to employment opportunities, affordable housing, and security.
Highly populated areas are in Island Division, Likoni, Kingorani, Bamburi, Bangladesh Mikindani, Jomvu, Miritini, Migadini, Port Reitz, Mtwapa, Mishomoroni and Bombolulu among others.
The county has various settlement schemes namely Jomvu Kuu, Bububu A, Shikaadabu , Vyemani, Mwembelegeza and Majaoni.
Despite the efforts being made to settle people, the county still has a very large number of landless people most of who live in the city’s slums of Mishomoroni, Junda and Kisumu Ndogo in Bamburi Division and Shika Adabu and Ngomeni in Likoni district.
According to the 2009 Census Report (Source KNBS) Mombasa county population stood at 939,370 and is projected to increase to 1,041,928 by sunset of 2012. While the Medium Term Plan (MTP) of the vision 2030 focuses on broad National policies aimed at making Kenya a globally competitive Nation, this County Development Profile translates this national aspiration into specific micro
interventions to address the unique county needs.
Additionally, it profile provides an implementation framework for the vision 2030 which contains the people’s perceptions, strategies and suggestions on how best to achieve and sustain a GDP growth rate of 10%.
Challenges Facing Mombasa County
The major development challenges include among others; poor road networks, rapid urbanization and housing problems, inadequate education facilities, inadequate health care delivery points, high unemployment among the youthful, insecurity, weak land ownership regime, perennial water shortages and growth of unplanned and informal settlements.
Facts About Mombasa County
- Political units: Constituencies (6) and Wards (30)
- Population: 1,041,928 (Projected 2012)
- Labour force: 65.24 per cent of the total County population
- Road Network: 27 km classified roads and 221.46 km unclassified roads.
- Telecommunications: 95% of residents of Mombasa have mobiles
- Literacy level: 86.2%.
- Energy Access: 53.6% use paraffin
- Land use: 30% of the inhabitants have title deeds.
- Tourism: Contribute to 68% of the wage employment
- Unemployment: 13.5%.
- Health: Referral facility (1), Private hospitals (15) and Public dispensaries (25
Attractions in Mombasa County
- Fort Jesus
- Water Sports
- Mombasa Marine National Park
- Nature Trail.
- Tourist Hotels
Economy of Mombasa County
- Farming or sisal, sugarcane, cashewnuts, keeping of livestock
- Mining of chrome ore, cement, salt, sand
- Food processing, packaging and export
Universities and Colleges in Mombasa County
- The Mombasa Polytechnic University College
- Mombasa Technical Training Instiute
- Kenyatta University Mombasa Campus
- Kenya Methodist University
- Kenya Coast University
- Islamic University Mombasa
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Mombasa Campus
- Daystar University, Mombasa Campus
Health in Mombasa County
- Coast Provicial General Hospital
- Port Reitz
- Agha Khan Hospital