Raphael Tuju Profile and Biography
With a successful background in the private sector, Raphael Tuju joined politics in 2002 and has served the Government of Kenya in various capacities since that time. His most recent appointment was as Advisor to the President of the Republic of Kenya, on matters related to Media and the Management of Diversity.
Raphael Tuju also served as Kenya’s Foreign Affairs Minister from end of 2005 to end of 2007. Between 2003 and 2005, Tuju held two other portfolios; Minister of Information and Communications and Minister for Tourism and Wildlife.
Raphael Tuju was Member of Parliament (MP) for Rarieda Constituency from 2002 to 2007, in which time he is credited with the excellent record of building up to five (5) new secondary schools to increase high school enrollment in the region. He also implemented a major water project for the Rarieda people and introduced an innovative mobile hospital to decrease infant mortality as a result of malaria and HIV/AIDS.
Raphael Tuju is an accomplished professional in the communication field with a successful track record in the private sector as founder Director of a communication company and interests in the real estate business.
Raphael Tuju holds a Master of Arts (MA) Degree in Mass Communication from the University of Leicester, United Kingdom.
“In my younger years, I worked as a Television Producer with several documentary films to my credit and earning the distinction of being the first TV Producer in Africa to win an International Emmy award for a TV production.”
“I mainly addressed health and human development issues in my communication career with HIV/AIDS and Gender Empowerment being the main subject matter and in which I am credited with some of the major ground breaking mark in Kenya.”
Raphael Tuju was awarded the second highest civilian title in Kenya, E.G.H. (Elder of the Golden Heart) by President Mwai Kibaki for his many years of service to the people of Kenya in the area of health, human development and public service.
Raphael Tuju Career path
2008 – 2011:
- Advisor, Office of the President, with special
- emphasis on media and management of ethnic relations. Also served as Special Envoy of the President on various missions.
2005 – 2007:
- Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Member of Parliament
- Chairman of NARC Kenya political party – the biggest member of the PNU.
2003 – 2005:
- Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Minister of Tourism
- Minister of Information and Communication
- Member of Parliament.
1992 – 2001:
- Founder Director of Ace Communications
- Worked as Lead consultant in the design and implementation of several public communication programs for a varied Clientele that include WHO in Geneva, World Bank, DfID of the British Government, USAID, UNDP just to mention a few.
- Was Producer and Director of several documentaries, Radio and TV commercials for international agencies, public sector institutions and private sector bodies.
- Was a columnist for Local Newspapers notably the East African Standard.
- Also worked as an Anchor for TV News in the late 1980s and early part of the 1990s on a part time basis.
Raphael Tuju Family Wife and Children
Raphael Tuju is married and has three children; two daughters and a son.
Raphael Tuju is an alumnus of the well-known Starehe Boys’ Centre and School.