Kenya’s consistent economic growth and social stability over the past 50 years can be attributed to the security sector, comprising the Kenya Defence Forces and the Kenya Police Service and Private Security Companies in Kenya.
The Constitution defines national security as the protection against internal and external threats to Kenya’s territorial integrity and sovereignty, its people, their rights, freedoms, property, peace, stability and prosperity, and other national interests. It prohibits any person from establishing a military, paramilitary, or similar organization that purports to promote and guarantee national security, except as provided for by the Constitution or an Act of Parliament.
The national security organs are subordinate to civilian authority. The constitutionally established organ that overseas all matters pertaining to national security is the National Security Council.
The Council consists of;-
- The President;
- The Deputy President;
- The Cabinet Secretary; responsible for defence
- The Cabinet Secretary; responsible for foreign affairs;
- The Cabinet Secretary; responsible for internal security; The Attorney General
- The Chief of Kenya Defence Forces;
- The Director- General of the National Intelligence Service; and The Inspector – General of the National Police Service.
The Council’s primary mandate is to
- Integrate the domestic, foreign and military policies relating to national security in order to enable the national security organs to co – operate and function effectively; and to
- Assess and appraise the objectives, commitments and risks to the Republic in respect of actual and potential national security capabilities.
The Council reports to Parliament on the state of security in Kenya. With parliamentary approval, the Council may:
- Deploy national forces outside Kenya for:- Regional or international peace support operations; or other support operations
- Approve the deployment of foreign forces in Kenya.
In Case You Missed It
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
- A Good Wife’s Guide – 10 things you need to DO to be a GOOD wife.
- Top 20 things men should never, ever, do — Just don’t do it
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 20 Things 20 – Year-Olds Don’t Get
- APPLICATION FORM TO MARRY MY DAUGHTER.