All of us, currently dating or not, know the horrible truth – that in the first few seconds of meeting someone we subconsciously and consciously make instant judgments about people’s characters and personalities.
Looking your best
If someone ever invented a magic fashion wand or a foolproof manual of dating rules for singletons, they’d be very rich indeed. Until that happens, what you can do is take heed of some style advice that will ensure you look your very best on your first date, and give yourself every chance of successfully negotiating date number two!
What is style?
Style is quite simply wearing what suits us – and anyone can learn how to dress for maximum dating success. Personal style is not about designer labels, the latest celebrity trend or must-have accessories; it’s simply about having the confidence and self awareness to make the very most of what you have. It’s about concentrating on the good bits, to help you arrive on a first date oozing genuine appeal and confidence.
Style tips for women
Never be tempted to use hairspray: it looks naff, smells horrid and your date will get an unpleasant surprise if they touch your hair.
- Remember, less is more when it comes to looking alluring, you want to look mysterious, not downright cheap.
- This is not the night for long red nails or bright red lips; they’re both too obvious a sign to a man that you are interested.
- Wear discreet jewellery, not masses of gold – he won’t understand the fashion irony of the St Tropez chic look.
- Looking too trendy is also a bad idea. Your best friend might be jealous of your outfit, but your date may find it plain scary.
- Use a colour corrector (green coloured foundation) as a base if you are prone to blushing or flush when you drink alcohol.
- Never try and shop for a new outfit on the day of the date; life never works like that, you will get increasingly stressed and rarely will you find your dream outfit.
- Make sure you wear a bra that fits you properly and feel confident showing off a hint of cleavage. It’s amazing how many women wear the wrong size and it shows.
- If in doubt, think Meg Ryan rather than Madonna – a mysterious feminine look is a definite winner with most men.