Building Materials in Kenya
Building materials are any substance, natural or man made, which is used for construction purposes to create structures and buildings.
The choice of building materials is determined by factors like availability, cost, tenacity and durability.
Common types of building materials in Kenya.
These are the most common used type of material. They are two types of stones in the market; manually cut stones and machine cut stones. The manually cut stones are strong and are prefered for foundations and load bearing walls.
Machine cut stones are well shaped with an even surface, which helps in saving on time and labour cost that would have gone into dressing. They also save on mortar during building and plastering since there are no uneven gaps to be filled.
This is used wit cement, and sometimes lime, to make mortar for masonry work and plaster. The material is also used as a part of the concrete mix.
These are made using clay which is compressed to form blocks then air dried. After drying,the bricks are burnt or fired in a kiln to permanently harden them. Fired bricks are commonly used for construction of walls and arches as a substitute to stone. They are popular due to their fire resistance abilities.
Metal features prominently in structural framework of buildings. Steel is the most used metal during construction.
Steel is commonly used to make reinforced concrete used as support for structures in buildings, dam and bridges.
Copper is commonly used for electric wires, indoor design elements and piping for water supply.
Aluminium is used for gutters, roofing sheets and roofing nails while other metals such as a gold silver and chrome are used for decorations due to their high cost and lack of tensile strength and hardness.
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Cement is used in masonry work as an adhesive to hold the stones, bricks and blocks in place as well as in plastering.
The material is mixed with aggregate (sand and gravel) as a binder to form concrete which is commonly used for building of floors, bridges, dams and roads.
Wood is used mainly in panelling, flooring and general finishing. It also used in construction of roofs, ceiling, doors and window frames and exterior cladding.
It is important on buildings since it provides the ability to let in light into the interiors while simultaneously locking out undesirable weather elements.
These are most common roofing materials in the country due to their affordability.They come in a variety of colours, shapes and sizes and are usually produced with a series of alternating grooves and ridges(corrugation) which inrease their binding strength.
These are thin flat slabs of fired clay, concrete, cement or metal usually laid in rows to form a roofing cover
A comprehensive list of all companies dealing with building materials in Kenya, their addresses (postal and physical), contacts (telephone and e-mail) and a link to the building materials in Kenya company website.
List of Building Materials in Kenya Companies
- Aberdare Steel & Hardware Ltd
- Abhani Commercial Ltd
- Aristocrats Concrete Ltd
- ASL Ltd – Trading Division – Industrial Area Branch
- ASL Ltd – Trading Division – Parklands Showroom Branch
- ASL Ltd – Trading Division – Showroom 2 Branch
- Atos Creations
- Bamburi Special Products
- Bilco Engineering
- C K Patel Ltd
- Cabroworks (E A) Ltd – Main Office Branch
- Chuma Na Rangi Ltd
- Coast Metals Traders Ltd
- Concrete & Allied Craft Ltd
- Crown Classics Ltd
- Dayalal Bhanji & Sons Ltd
- Dhara Wholesalers Ltd
- Dogra Engineering Co Ltd
- Dolphin International Co. Ltd
- Doshi Ironmongers Ltd
- Eddyson Enterprises
- Eurobond Industries Pvt Ltd
- Fairface Supplies Ltd
- Galaxy Heritage Ltd
- Gifan Enterprises
- Gipxons Investments Ltd
- Gulf Steel Ltd
- Haryoum Steel Centre Ltd
- Heet Enteprises Ltd
- Houseman ‘n’ Hardware
- Imperial Pillars Ltd
- K G International Ltd
- Kags Trading Co. Ltd
- Kalu Hardware & Tools Ltd
- Kange Construction
- Kencivco Ltd
- Kenmate Co.Ltd
- Kenya Builders & Concrete Co Ltd
- Kenya Calcium Products Ltd
- Kijana Contractors
- Kizuri Waffles
- Lavan Building Paradise
- M S A Enterprises
- Mafra Hardware
- Manson Hart Kenya Ltd
- Mareba Enterprises Ltd
- Mawe Masters Ltd
- Maxcare Limited
- Mazingira Building Solutions
- Miritini Building Products Ltd
- Mjengo Limited – Thika Branch
- Mkomani Enterprises Ltd
- Modsan Hardware Ltd
- Multisystem Hardware & Suppliers Ltd
- Muthokinju Paints & Interiors
- Muthokinju Paints & Interiors – Juja Branch
- Muthokinju Paints & Interiors – Muranga Branch
- Mwati Services
- Nails & Steel Products Ltd
- Nails & Steel Products Ltd
- Nanyuki Timber & Hardware
- National Concrete Ltd
- Nemchand Anand & Co
- New Kikuyu Building Materials Store
- Nujoom Hardware Ltd
- Patel Concrete Co
- PG Bison (K) Ltd
- Pinnacle Timber Products
- Plumbline Hardware Stores Ltd
- Plysales (K) Ltd
- Rams Building Material
- Rashmilan Enterprises Ltd – Head Office Branch
- Roser Roofing (E. A.) Ltd
- Samka Holdings Ltd
- Silver Stone Masters Ltd
- Simba Pavers Ltd
- Sonet Co. Ltd
- Southern General Hardware Supplies
- Stanklean Commercial Ltd
- Stone Arts Integrated Interiors Ltd
- Three Gem Supplies
- Tile & Carpet Centre Ltd
- Uniblue Suppliers
- Vishkarma Industries Ltd
- Walls & Floors Holdings Ltd
- Wara Hardware
- Wareng Ndovu Enterprises (2005) Ltd
- Warren Concrete Ltd
- Yamini Builders Co. Ltd