Gor Mahia Football club was formed on February 17 1968 following the amalgamation of Luo Union FC and Luo Stars football clubs. However the history of the club goes back to the 1950s with the formation of Luo Union FC. The original Luo Union FC was formed in the 1950s and was the brainchild of freedom fighter Jaramogi Oginga Odinga. Luo Union FC finished second in the first ever Kenyan national league held in 1963 and then won the league in 1964 with players like the legendary keeper James Sianga, Stephen Yongo, Fred Siranga, and Daniel Nicodemus “Arudhi”. In 1965 they finished second to Feisal of Mombasa on goal difference.
In 1966 and 67, there was a major split in Luo Union Football Club. Some players split and formed Luo Sports club. Others stayed with Luo Union. But when Luo Union were were omitted from the 1966 league at the expense of Luo Sports club, some players opted to join Kisumu Hotstars. These included William Ouma “Chege” James Sianga, Joseph Okeyo, Josphat Okello “Smart” and John Otieno “Hatari”.
As a result of the split, Abaluhya Football club (now AFC leopards) dominated the league in those two years. At the end of 1967, Luo Union FC officials approached the Minister for economic planning, Tom Mboya to discuss unifying the two factions. The officials included Mahallon Danga who had played for Luo Union FC in the early 60s, Solomon Oiro and Odiawo Nyandega. Meetings were held in Tom Mboya’s house. Present at those meetings were the likes of Prof Bethwell Ogot, Joab Omino, Zach Ramogo and Samuel Ayany. On February 17 1968, an agreement was reached amongst the Luo Union and Luo Sports club factions to form a unified team. Several names were proposed for the new unified club including “Luanda Magere”, Nile Stars. The name Gor Mahia proposed by Aggrey Olango who played for Luo Sports club was adopted. Zach Ramogo was selected as interim chairman and later voted in as the club chairman at the club’s first ever annual general meeting. Other pioneer officials were Mahallon Danga and Andrew Odemba. Gor Mahia Football Club had now been born.
- Daniel Ndambuki (Churchill) Responds To Rumors That He Is Dead
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Nyayo National Stadium – Block A.