Industrial Relations in Kenya
Industrial Relations in Kenya refer to the regulations that occur in the relationship that exist between an employer and an employee in an organization.It is the study of how employees, employers and the government relate and make decisions which define and shape the employment relationship between employer and employees.
Industrial Relations in Kenya – Significance
Business Training in Kenya has more information on Kenya Significance of Industrial Relations. One of the importance’s of Industrial Relations is that it eases supervision work among the employers.Good relations create a good working environment among the employees.Government Involvement in Industrial Relations increases productivity of employees and ensures the work will be done well.
Industrial relations – Evolution
The evolution of tripartism and voluntary Industrial Relations just before independence followed decades of adversity between the colonial authorities and the restive labour movement, whose protests and struggle for freedom and labour rights were brutally suppressed by the authorities. Trade unions’ response was equally uncompromising, as they embarked on strikes and other forms of protests across the country.
Industrial relations – Government Involvement
Government Involvement in Industrial Relations ensures increase in productivity of organization. It enhances industrial democracy where employees are involved in decision making. Government Involvement in Industrial Relations enhances collective bargaining. Industrial Relations minimizes or eliminates disputes, strikes, lock outs.
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
Industrial relations in Kenya – Factors
There are various factors that influence Industrial Relations in Kenya. They include;
- Economic Conditions,
- Institutional and Political Factors,
- Level of Education and Awareness of Employees,
- Management Styles of Organization,
- Nature of Business
COTU-K as a department of industrial relations
The core functions of all trade unions has been recruitment of members and handling their grievances which is the mantle of the Industrial Relations department.
The operations of this department are guided by the Trade Disputes Act Cap 234, the Industrial Relations Charter, existing labour laws and type International Labour organisation corrections. This department has handled trade disputes of employees and affiliates.
There are four main types of trades disputes that are handled by this department namely:-
- An individual dispute – This is dispute between an individual employee and his/her employer.
- A collective dispute – This involves a group of workers or their representatives and one or more employers. Each and every claimant in this dispute must have the same kind of complaint.
- A rights disputer – This involves the interpretation or application of an existing right as laid down in labour legislation, collective bargaining agreement, an individual labour contract or an existing practice.
- An interests dispute – Involves a claim for future rights and this normally result from a deadlock in collective barging negotiations
The department performs the following functions:-
- Handles workers grievances of both the members of our affiliates and non-members. Most of their kind of disputes emanate from unfair termination of employment.
- Handling on behalf of our affiliates disputes with employers as regards the collective bargaining agreement and its negotiation and implementation.
- Assist affiliates in the preparation of their submission to the Industrial court.
- Liaising with the other social partners namely the Federation of Kenya Employers (FKE) and the
- Ministry of Labour and Human Resource Development on issues related to trade disputes.
- Offering advisory services to our afflicts.
A comprehensive list of all Industrial Organizations in Kenya, their addresses (postal and physical), contacts (telephone and e-mail) and a link to the industrial relations in Kenya websites.
List of Industrial Relations in Kenya
- BMP International Ltd
- Edward Chittenden Ltd
- Federation of Kenya Employers
- Industrial Promotion Services (K) Ltd
- Keming Trading Co. Ltd
- Kenya Energy & Telecoms Co Ltd
- Kenya National Chamber of Commerce & Industry, The
- Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry, The
- M L Trading Co Ltd
- Manfreco Ltd
- Muli (K) Ltd
- Roroma Kenya Ltd
- Schidespus Services
Industrial Relations in Kenya – Video
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/