Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH)
Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) in Nairobi is the oldest hospital in Kenya. Founded in 1901 with a bed capacity of 40 as the Native Civil hospital, it was renamed the King George VI in 1952. At that time the settler community were served by the nearby European Hospital (now Nairobi Hospital).
It was renamed Kenyatta National Hospital — after Jomo Kenyatta — following independence from the British. It is currently the largest referral and teaching hospital in the country.
Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) has turned 115 years and it had its Centenary Celebration in 2001. The Hospital was built to fulfill the role of being a National Referral and Teaching Hospital, as well as to provide medical research environment.
Established in 1901 with a bed capacity of 40, Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) became a State Corporation in 1987 with a Board of Management and is at the apex of the referral system in the Health Sector in Kenya. It covers an area of 45.7 hectares and within the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) complex are College of Health Sciences (University of Nairobi); the Kenya Medical Training College; Kenya Medical Research Institute and National Laboratory Service (Ministry of Health).
Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) has 50 wards, 22 out-patient clinics, 24 theaters (16 specialized) and Accident & Emergency Department. Out of the total bed capacity of 1800, 209 beds are for the Private Wing.
The Hospital has a capacity of 1800 beds and has over 6000 staff members. It covers an area of 45.7 hectares. The University of Nairobi Medical School, and several government agencies are located on the campus.
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
To optimize patient experience through innovative healthcare, facilitate training and research, and participate in national health policy.
A world class patient-centered specialized care hospital.
We Listen,…We Care.
Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) Patient Care
- To be treated with respect and dignity
- Right to consent or refuse treatment procedure
- Information on your health condition
- Protection and privacy
- Confidentiality on your health condition
- To know the names of the people serving you
- Bring a referral letter
- Remain in the hospital until discharged
- Use Hospital Service responsibly
- Keep appointments
- Settle your bills on time
- Take your medicine as prescribed
- Avoid Corrupt practices
- Respect Hospital employees’ and people’s rights
Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) Contacts
Physical Address: Hospital road off ngong Road
Postal Address: P. O. Box 20723 – 00202
Telephone: 0709 854000
020 2726300 -11
Fax: + 254 20 2725 272