Machakos Teachers Training Institute Description
Machakos Teachers’ Training College is a Public College which was started by the Colonial government and opened its doors on 4th March, 1958. The Institution was established to train female teachers and had 64 students in four classes offering T3, T2, T1 and T1- up-grader teacher training courses. The first Principal was Miss A.C. Shrubsole.
In 1965 male students joined the College making the Institution Co-educational. They had been transferred from Tumutumu Teachers’ College in Nyeri. In 1968 MATECO got the first African Principal, Mr. P. G. King’ori. By then the student population had risen to 240. The College continued to train P1 and P2 teachers up to 1982. From then on it has been fully devoted to training P1 teachers only.
Students’ recruitment to the institution is based on a quota system worked out by the Ministry of Education, that is, qualified students are admitted from all the districts in the country. MATECO is a special college, in that, in addition to training regular students it trains students with hearing, visual and physical impairment.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Today MATECO has a teaching staff of 90 Lecturers and 50 support staff. The current student population is 970. The current Principal of the College is Mr. Stephen P. Nalelia.
The first chairman of the BOG was Mr. K. M Cowley and the current one is Mr. Tito Musyoka who has pioneered the writing of this strategic plan.
Over the years, MATECO has continued to fulfill its mandate of training Primary School teachers and has grown in terms of staff and students.
The College has trained many Primary School teachers and is now the only one training students with hearing, visual and physical impairments. MATECO has excelled in co-curricular activities; in Sports, Drama and Music competitions. Some of her students have competed internationally in games and sports.
MATECO has therefore contributed significantly by producing manpower for the education sector.
Machakos Teachers Training Institute Courses Offered
- Certificate in Kenyan Sign Language(Sign Language)
- Certificate in Early Childhood Development and Education(ECDE)
- Certificate in Braille(Braille)
- Certificate in Information Communication Technology(ICT)
- Certificate in English Language(English Language)
- Certificate in Kiswahili(Kiswahili)
Machakos Teachers Training Institute Intake
Information will be updated soon
Machakos Teachers Training Institute Application Form
Information will be updated soon
Machakos Teachers Training Institute Contacts
Name: Machakos Teachers Training Institute
Physical Location: Nairobi-Machakos Road
Postal Address: 124 – 90100
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/