Nairobi School Details
Located on the outskirts of Nairobi, about 11 km from the city center. Nairobi School is a National Boys Boarding school admitting boys from the Ages of 12-19 yrs. It offers the Kenya Secondary Certificate of Education (KCSE) upon completion of a 4 year course.
The Examination is administered by the Kenya National examination Council (KNEC) a National examining body.
At its picturesque 200-Acre campus established in 1929, Nairobi school provides a well-rounded education to approximately 1104 students who come from the 8 provinces that make up Kenya.
Nairobi School Results
Nairobi School is a national secondary school in Nairobi, Kenya. It was founded in 1902 by the British settlers who had made Nairobi their home after the construction of the Uganda Railway. In 1925 Lord Delamere and Sir Edward Grigg, then Governor of Kenya, separated the European Nairobi School into a senior boys school (Prince of Wales School), senior girls school (Kenya High School) and a junior school (Nairobi Primary School).
In 1931 a new school was built at the 250-acre (1.0 km2) site at Kabete, the main school buildings being designed by Herbert Baker. The school was then named the Prince of Wales School but following Kenya’s independence the school was renamed to Nairobi School in 1965. The school is popularly referred to as ‘Patch’.
VISION: To be a World-Class centre of Academic, Spiritual and Moral Excellence.
MISSION: To provide of high quality education, through innovation, positive influence, team-work and self discipline; guided by the principles of professionalism, commitment and excellence.
History of Nairobi School
Nairobi school was initially started in 1902 around the present Nairobi Railways club as a European school to serve the families of the I.B.E.A Company and later the white settler community. Out of the foresight and wisdom of the late Lord Delamere in proposing the building a senior Boys school (now Nairobi Primary), and the support of the then governor, Sir Edward Grigg, the railway reserve grounds near Kabete home for the school.
In 1928, Sir Herbart Baker was commissioned to plan a school similar to Winchester school, attended by both Lord Delamere and the then Governor-Kenya colony, in Winchester, an old town in Southern England dating from about 516AD, after the Romans left England. It was a major administrative and silver minting center, and hence, a Saxon Capital of England form 1066AD.
The school named after this town was originally founded to educate boy choristers. It was later re-founded in 1541 after King Henry VIII had destroyed the monasteries. Today the school is one of the leading independent schools in England. Captain Nicholson (recently retired form the loyal navy college, Dartmouth) designed the uniform and prepared school rules and regulations to match the discipline of the navy tradition. In the meantime Mrs. Nicholson planned the gardens.
On the 24thseptember 1929 the foundation stone was laid by his Excellency Lt. Col. Sir Edward Grigg K.C.M K.C.V.O, D.S.O, M.C, Governor of Kenya colony, for a school with a capacity of 80 boys. Interestingly under the stone were preserved a copy of the day
Nairobi School Contacts
School Name: Nairobi School
School Code No: 20400002
Type of School: Boys Boarding
County: Nairobi County
Postal Address:P. O. Box 30047 – 00100
School Description: National School
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: +254 (20) – 4442799
Fax: +254 (20) – 4442855
Nairobi School Website
Website : www.nairobischool.ac.ke