Tom Mboya Labour College Description
Tom Mboya Labour College (TMLC) is named after Thomas Joseph Odhiambo Mboya, the renowned Kenyan nationalist and trade union leader of the late 1950s and 1960’s. Born in 1930, with roots in Nyanza Province. His political career was however cut short when he was assassinated in a Nairobi street on 5th July 1969. The college was name after him in recognition of his contribution to the development of trade union movement in Kenya.
The college is locate in Kenya’s Kisumu City on a Six acre piece of land along Ring Road in Milimani Estate Next to the Impala Sanctuary.
The main cause for the establishment of the College was to provide the highest quality education and training for trade unionists and their members, and now all workers and students of not only a Kenyan, but an intercontinental scope-initially done through conferences, workshops, symposia and seminars, and now specialized courses and training programmes are incorporated, making it a focus center for trade union-Plus education on the African continent and beyond.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
In addition, it provides a venue for training and congregation for non-trade union clients, including government institutions and civil society organizations.
History of Tom Mboya Labour College
Labour education and training in Kenya predates the establishment of the Tom Mboya Labour College (TMLC). The earliest efforts towards having a formal institution for training trade union leaders and workers on labour issues was the establishment of the Department of Workers’ Education at the Central Organization of Trade Unions-Kenya (COTU-K) in 1974. The Department became largely responsible for putting in place the structures for the commencement of the renowned COTU (K)’s Study Circle Programme in 1978. This saw the beginning of structured educational programmes which were offered on regular and frequent basis to trade union leaders and shopfloor workers.
The success of this early programme promoted the need to establish a more comprehensive and intensive programmes of study for trade union leaders and workers. The ultimate aim was to equip trade unionists, and the rank and file with the skills, knowledge and competencies required in an increasingly complex and dynamic working environment. It was this desire coupled with inadequacies of existing educational programmes that led COTU (K) to establish the TMLC in 1983. The TMLC was established as a residential college devoted exclusively to the educational needs of trade union leaders and members at large.
The main objective of establishing the College was to have a centre to provide the highest quality education and training for trade unionists and their members. It was recognized then that high quality trade union and workers’ education would not only create the foundation for improved well being of workers but would also serve to promote the goal of effective representation of workers and efficient collective bargaining. This would then improve the country’s industrial relations system.
The TMLC was formally opened in 1983 and was named in memory of the late veteran trade unionist Thomas Joseph Mboya. It was seen as a lasting testimony to the brilliant and high profile trade unionist.
Tom Mboya Labour College Diploma Courses Offered
- Diploma in Social Work & Community Development
- Diploma in Sales and Marketing
- Diploma in Food & Beverage Prod,sales & Services Management
- Diploma in Project Management
- Diploma in Banking & Finance
- Diploma in Supply Chain Management
- Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Information Communication Technology (ICT)
- Diploma in Human Resource Management
Tom Mboya Labour College Intake
Information will be updated soon
Tom Mboya Labour College Application Form
Information will be updated soon
Tom Mboya Labour College Contacts
College Name: Tom Mboya Labour College
County: Kisumu County
Physical Address: Along Ring Road, Milimani
Postal Address: P.O. Box 754, Kisumu 40100
Telephone: 057-2020211, 020-2334544
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/