A Guide To American Embassy Memorial Garden
American Embassy Memorial Garden garden is set at the site of the former American Embassy that was destroyed by terrorist bombings in 1998. Its well-tended lawn provides escapades for visitors drawing away from bustling noisy Nairobi into serenity. Most part the exhibit are photos from the attack, testimonials, and general information.
On August 7th 1998, a group of terrorists used a car bomb to blow up the then United States Embassy located at the corner of Moi and Haile Selassie Avenues, causing the deaths of 218 innocent people and injuring thousands of others. So powerful was the explosion that it could be heard as far away as the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, while the shock wave was felt over the city causing many buildings to tremble. As a result, a new Embassy was constructed on a heavily fortified site at Gigiri while ownership of the existing site was donated by the American and Kenyan people to a trust charged with turning it into a Memorial Park as a tribute to the victims but also a place where the public would be educated about the futility of violence and the essence of peace. The construction of the Park and Museum was made possible by donations in cash and kind by a number of individuals, companies and organizations, leading to its opening on 7th August 2001. The Memorial Park comprises a landscaped garden, a Memorial Wall commemorating the names of those who died and several other features that hold a symbolic meaning relevant to the tragic event. The Visitors Centre, which also houses the Museum, has remarkable conference facilities that can be hired for short term or prolonged durations and can accommodate up to 60 people. All proceeds from the gate charges, conference facilities, meeting rooms, hire of venue for events and advertising space go towards the sustenance and maintenance of the Memorial Park.
American Embassy Memorial Garden Contacts
Attraction Type: Historic Sites
City / Town: Nairobi
Road / Street: Moi Avenue
Telephone: 254 725 624489 254 735 825383
Entrance Fee: Yes
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/