Drip Irrigation in Kenya
Drip Irrigation in Kenya – Drip irrigation is a method of watering plants with single drops of water at a time. The set up consists of tapes with very small outlets that let out water one drop at a time wetting the soil around the plants roots. The technology was developed in the USA and Israel for growing crops in dry climates where water is limited.
The technology is efficient in use of water – no water is wasted as runoff or lost by moving down through the soil too quickly for the roots to absorb it. The technology has been further simplified and requires low water pressure to operate. The tapes are very flexible and can be modified to suit different lengths of rows or plot sizes.
Advantages of Drip Irrigation in Kenya
- Yield of crops are maximum.
- Water is used to its maximum level by the plant. Weeds cannot therefore absorb water as no water is available for them
- As water is applied locally and leaching is reduced, fertilizer or nutrient loss is minimized.
- Fertilizers can be used with high efficiency.
- Operational cost is low.
- Soil infiltration capacity is increased.
- Fertilizers and ground water is not mixed.
- Seed germination is improved.
- Wastes of fertilizers are lessened.
Disadvantages of Drip Irrigation in Kenya
- The initial investment capital per acre may be higher than those of other irrigation systems e.g. Sprinkler
- Management requirements of drip irrigation systems are somewhat higher because of its sensitive layout.
- Rodent, human and insect damage to drip lines are potential sources of leaks.
- A water filtration system is necessary to prevent your drip lines from blocking
Drip Irrigation in Kenya – Video
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin