Garissa Community Giraffe Sanctuary Description
Garissa Community Giraffe Sanctuary is hosted by Bour-Algi village, south of Garissa town and was set to host internally displace giraffe that had been affected by the Kenya/Somali border skirmishes. Its name stems from the large presence of giraffes attracted by the abundant acacia trees.
Community-based natural resource management programmes are crucial for the survival of wildlife populations because communities have a greater interest in the sustainable use of natural resources around them more than the centralized or distant government or private management institutions. The Garissa Sanctuary giraffe conservation project is a community based conservation initiative with the sole objective of conserving the reticulated giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis reticulata). The project focuses on the conservation and management of this species that once occurred throughout much of the horn of Africa, but is now, largely confined to Northern Kenya. In so doing the project will:
establish community-based ecological monitoring systems for the Sanctuary,
improve and expand security operations within the sanctuary, and
will undertake a preliminary assessment and ecological research within the Sanctuary.
Further, the project will work to promote capacity building and make management recommendations for the long-term compatibility of wildlife, livestock, and pastoralists in Garissa District. Results from this project will provide sorely-needed information on the basic ecology and natural history of these giraffe, and will form the basis of conservation and monitoring of this range restricted species in its native range in north-eastern Kenya.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Garissa Community Giraffe Sanctuary contacts
Attraction Type: Wildlife
Category: Animal Sanctuary
City / Town: Garissa
Road / Street: A3 Garissa
Telephone: 254 20 260 3243
Entrance Fee: Yes
Garissa Community Giraffe Sanctuary
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/