Kenyan Gospel Music
Kenyan Gospel music rules the music industry in Kenya. Kenyan Gospel songs styles range from classical, African rhythms and choirs. Gospel music In Kenya has been modernised with the latest instrumentation.
Kenyan Gospel Music – Gospel Music in Kenya
- It plays an integral part in our daily lives
- It’s an effective tool to reaching out to the Youth of this generation
- It has the power to influence positive behaviour
- It Promotes common goals and objectives geared towards positive growth of the youth
The top musicians in this widely-selling genre are Loise Kim, Esther Wahome, Mary Atieno, Hellen Akoth, Jemimah Thiong’o and Rufftone.
Others are Daddy Owen, the Kassangas, Jimmy Gait, Kanjii Mbugua, Juliani and Reuben Kigame.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Kenyan Gospel Music: Top Kenyan Gospel Music Producers
Top Kenyan gospel music producers are:
- Bruce Odhiambo of Johari Clef,
- Tedd Josiah,
- Clement Rapudo aka Clemo of Calif Records,
- Lucas Bikedo of Ogopa Deejays,
- Eric Musyoka,
- Robert Kamanzi
- Maich Black.
Others are Kassangas Studio, Herbal Records and Bably Omar of Tabasamu Records.
Kenyan Gospel Music: Top Kenyan Gospel Artists
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Rufftone
Ruff tone whose real names are Roy Smith Mwatia can be said to be the “God father” of Kenyan gospel music. The musician was born 35 years ago in the Western province of Kenya. He specializes in gospel dance hall and raga. Besides being a gospel artist, he is also a music producer and owner of lampstand records.
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Esther Wahome
When talking about the gospel industry in Kenya, the name Esther Wahome always comes up. She is one of the most prolific figures who have always featured in the gospel scene. She has also dominated the scene for over two decades. Esther Wahome has also mentored many upcoming musicians in the industry. Besides singing, she also participates in charity events. As a wife and mother of three, she also represented the country in Mrs. World beauty pageant.
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Daddy Owen
Daddy Owen aka Papa Fololo is the younger sibling of Rufftone. His real name is Owen Mwatia. He burst into the scene a few years back, and under the leadership of his big brother “Rufftone” he has dominated the gospel industry for the last three years. He also managed to win most awards and nominations in the last three years. The accolades included KORA, Channel O, Groove awards, and other local awards. Daddy Owen is also among the wealthiest musicians in Kenya.
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Juliani
Juliani born Julius Owino started his music career as a secular rap artist with the group Ukoo Fulani. Born and raised in the ghetto, he has managed to cut himself a niche in the gospel industry. As the king of gospel rap, he has also been nominated a couple of times. Currently he is also the goodwill ambassador in charge of promoting youth farming in Kenya.
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Ben Githae
Ben Githae is well known for singing more laid back gospel tunes. He usually performs in vernacular specifically in “Kikuyu” dialect. His fame has seen him feature in top musical concerts. Ben Githae was one of the most featured artists in the just concluded elections in Kenya.
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Eko Dyddah
Eko Dyddah is known as the king of gospel swag. He brought a new and unique style that changed the gospel scene. His music mostly targets the youth and is always well received. He is also well known for collaborations with other gospel artist.
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Gloria Muliro
Gloria Muliro is currently the most popular gospel artist. Although she has been in the music industry for some time, her breakthrough came a few years back. Having grown and sang in church choirs, she is known for coming up with beautiful original tracks as well as renditions. She also works alongside her husband in running “Omba” ministries.
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Shiro Wa GP
Shiro wa GP whose real name is Mary Wanjiru is one of the youngest female gospel artists in Kenya. She burst into the limelight a few years back even though she has been singing in the church choir most of her life. Unlike many other artists, she mainly sings in her vernacular language which is Kikuyu.
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Kambua
Kambua is a young female gospel artist who really made a mark in the gospel scene. The graduate from the prestigious Berkley School of music is known for her refined musical tones as well as her polished vocals. Other than being a gospel artist, she is also a television and radio presenter in some of the local gospel stations.
Kenyan Gospel Artists – Eunice Njeri
Eunice Njeri started her singing career in the church. At a later age, she became the backup singer of Esther Wahome where she was able to hone her singing skills. Her versatility in music enables her perform as a solo artist, as well as collaborating with other musicians.
Kenyan Gospel Music: Top Kenyan Gospel Songs
- Signature – Jimmy Gait
- Moto – Size 8
- Mama – Bahati Kevin
- Msaidizi – Gloria Moliro
- Utawala – Juliani
- Lala salama – willy Paul
- Utamu Wa Maisha – Dady Owen
- I am in the Race – Paul Mwai
- Napenda – Shusho
- Asusu – DK Kwenya Beat
- Sitolia – Gloria Muliro & Willy Paul
- Kando – Gloria Muliro
- Exponential Potential – Juliani
- Rudi Nyumbani – BMF
- Beautiful People – Eko Dydda
- Katikia Yesu – Kriss Ehh Baba
Paid and Free Kenyan Gospel Music Downloads
Here are The Top 5 Websites to Download Kenyan Gospel Music Online:
Kenyan Gospel Music Downloads – Skiza Tunes
Skiza Tunes is undoubtedly the most popular download site for Kenyan music. This can be credited to the fact that it is operated by the largest cellular phone network in Kenya “Safaricom ltd”. Due to its large coverage, it is easy and convenient to locate music tracks from Kenyans. You only require 75 cents (0.009 US dollars) to download a tune straight into your phone. The tune will be renewed every day at midnight. Alternatively, you can also download a song for a one-off fee of Kshs 5 ($0.06) .The www.skiza.safaricom.co.ke service also allows a user send a tune to another person. A downloaded track may also be used as a person’s phone ringtone.
Kenyan Gospel Music Downloads – Mdundo.com
Mdundo.com is one of the newest sites offering download service for Kenyan music. “Mdundo” is a Kenyan term meaning musical beat. Since its inception about four months ago, it continues to appeal to many people. It is regarded as being Kenya’s iTunes store and allows users from any part of the world to get the latest Kenyan music as well as older music from its archives. More than 100 top Kenyan artists are signed with www.mdundo.com .This allows the site sell their music as mobile downloads straight to their mobile phones. Payment for the download includes the use of special scratch cards as well as Kenya’s mobile money transfer known as M-pesa. 5 songs go for 100Kenya schillings ($ 1.2 US dollars).
Kenyan Gospel Music Downloads – Kenyavideos.com
Kenyanvideos.com provides a platform where music artists can market their music. It also allows a person download the latest music videos from Kenya as well as other regions. The site gives access to all genres of music which include Taarab, rumba, soukous, Kigoco, afro pop, Kenyan soul, genge, kapuka, and much more. In order to have access to the music videos, a person needs to register online at www.kenyanvideos.com where he will also get the latest information on entertainment news, Top hits, and much more.
Kenyan Gospel Music Downloads – Get Mziki
Get Mziki is fully owned by a company based in San Francisco known as Get Mziki LLC. The company collaborates with one of Kenya’s leading entertainment groups known as Black star Entertainment Ltd. The firm also has presence in other regions of Eastern Africa which include Uganda, and Tanzania. Get Mziki standout from the rest due to their unique marketing concepts that concentrate on building local East Africa music instead of trying to ape western strategies. The close relationship between record labels, producers, DJs, and artists offers high quality musical content. Currently, the most downloaded tracks from www.getmziki.com include “Muthoni’s Nai ni Who, DK Kwenye beat’s Asusu, and Jimmy Gait’s Signature”.
Kenyan Gospel Music Downloads – Kentunes.com
Kentunes.com is one of the most popular download sites for Kenyan music. The online resource has been providing a variety of music for people looking for authentic Kenyan music. This paid for service is regarded as one of the best download site for Kenyan music due to its high security features. All that a person needs to do is register an account which he will use to purchase the music at a minimal fee. A user is also notified of any new releases on a frequent basis. The site also offers special promotions and discount offers to attract users. Genres of music that can be downloaded from their site at www.kenyatunes.com include Afro-fusion, Afro –Jazz, Benga, Folk, Gospel, Genge, Kapuka, Hiphop, Kigoco, Rumba, Urban, Zilizopendwa, Sokous, Mikatiko, and much more.
Many artists as well as listeners are continuing to embrace and appreciate music downloads. Previously, this was not the case due to poor regulation and also lack of sufficient knowledge. However, due to better regulation and public awareness campaigns, users are able to enjoy high quality music and videos, while the artists reap from their effort.
Kenyan Gospel Music: Groove Awards
The Anual Groove Award is the top gospel music ceremony in Kenya. lt started in 2004. It has honoured artistes such as Daddy Owen and Kanjii Mbugua, who revolutionised the gospel music scene.
Groove Awards 2016 Winners
- Male Artist Of The Year – L-Jay Maasai
- Female Artist Of The Year – Mercy Masika
- Group Of The Year – Kelele Takatifu
- New Artist Or Group Of The Year – Mash Mwana
- Song Of The Year – Nikupendeze by Mercy Masika
- Worship Song Of The Year – Nikufahamu by Evelyn Wanjiru
- Reggae/Ragga Song Of The Year – Wave by J-fam Feat Omari
- HipHop Song Of The Year – Easy by Maluda Feat. Juliani
- Album Of The Year – Emmanuel by Mercy D Lai
- Afro-Pop Song Of The Year – Ayaya by Majic Mike feat. Kris Eeh Baba
- Collabo Of The Year – Everlyne Wanjiru Feat Vicky Kitonga with Tulia
- Video Of The Year – Afadhali Yesu by Size 8
- Gospel Radio Show Of The Year – Gospel Sunday, Milele FM
- Radio Presenter Of The Year – Eva Mwalili, Milele FM
- DJ Of The Year – DJ Ruff
- Talent To Watch – DJ Covenant of Inooro TV
- Gospel TV Show Of The Year – The Switch, K24
- Song Of The Year Rift Valley Counties- Ashe Mpapa by Pst. Samuel Somorei
- Song Of The Year Coast Counties – Ushindi by Faith Mwikali
- Song Of The Year Eastern Counties – Ni Ngai Niwukilasya by Stephen Kasolo
- Song Of The Year Western Counties – Njingula by Timothy Kituyi
- Song Of The Year Nyanza Counties – Abasani B’ Omusunte by Fenny Kerubo
- Western Africa Artist Of The Year – Sinach, Nigeria
- Southern Africa Artist Of The Year – Joyous Celebration
- Eastern & Central Africa Artist Of the Year – Christina Shusho
- Audio Producer Of The Year – Saint P
- Songwriter Of the Year – Pitson
- Video Producer Of The Year – Sammy Dee, True-D Pictures
- Central Counties Song Of The Year – Githe Tiwe by Phyllis Mbuthia
- Dance Group Of The Year – Jims & Dims
- Skiza Ring Back Tone Of The Year – Mwema by Mercy Masika
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/