Isis Nyong’o Biography and Profile
Isis Nyong’o is a Kenyan American media and technology leader in Africa. She is the founder and CEO of Mums Village- an online community that seeks to provide a safe space for Mothers to seek out advice, support and inspire each other as they embark on this wonderful journey.
Isis Nyong’o has been named as one of the Top 40 Women Under 40 in Kenya for several years, listed on the Forbes Top 20 Youngest Power Women in Africa and on IT News Africa’s Top 10 Women in ICT. Most recently, she was named amongst the Young Global Leaders by the World Economic Forum.
Isis Nyongo Education Background
2003 – 2005: Graduate student at Harvard Business School, MBA
- Activities and Societies: Africa Business Club
1995 – 1999: Student at Stanford University, AB, Human Biology
- Activities and Societies: Stanford Swimming (Lifeguard), Stanford African Students Association
Student at Hillcrest School, Nairobi.
Isis Nyongo Job History
May 2015 – Present: Founder & CEO of MumsVillage
- Kenya’s online destination for mums and mums-to-be!
2014 – Present: Principal at Asphalt & Ink
- Founder or Asphalt & Ink which provides strategic advisory services to corporations, investors, start-ups, governments and non-profit organizations operating in Africa.
- The firm was formed out of the recognition that Africa’s rapidly changing landscape necessitates new approaches, insights and partnerships. Asphalt & Ink is a group of Africa-based professionals with deep operational experience across a diverse set of industries. The team shares a singular goal to leverage our collective expertise and networks to help demystify the key levers needed to engage effectively on the continent.
February 2011 – January 2013: Vice President & Managing Director, Africa, InMobi
- Responsible for developing and driving overall strategy to build InMobi’s mobile advertising business across Africa.
- Diversified revenue mix to include top global and local brands such as Coca-Cola, DSTV, FNB, IBM, Revlon, Safaricom, Samsung, Spinlet, Standard Chartered and Volvo
- Built and managed team of 10 across business development, campaign management, marketing and sales functions.
- Developed C-level relationships across agencies, brands, publishers and other industry stakeholders
- Thought leader in the nascent mobile internet industry, instrumental in shaping a new industry for Africa which enables advertisers to reach the 100M and growing mobile Internet users in a targeted way.
March 2008 – December 2010 :Business Development Manager, Google (Kenya)
- Developed Africa strategy and implementation plan as part of key member of Africa team
- Built partnerships across education, government, media, mobile, non-profit & SMEs industries
- Negotiated and closed licensing deals with content owners from various sectors and markets
- Evangelized Google through public speaking engagements in various markets
- Evaluated sponsorship opportunities and made recommendations on Google involvement based on strategic priorities
2005 – 2007: Snr. Commercial Strategy Manager, MTV Networks Africa (South Africa)
- Envisioned, defined, and implemented MTV’s commercial strategy for its entry into Africa. Generated over $XX million in annual advertising and distribution revenue by third year of operations.
- Identified, prioritized and evaluated new business opportunities across multiple media platforms.
- As part of global initiative, worked closely with General Manager to develop a business plan for MTV’s 2007-2010 Africa strategy. Strategic recommendations derived from application of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Structured and led complex negotiations for satellite TV, terrestrial TV, radio and 3G/DVB-H mobile TV distribution deals. Resulted in 8x increase in reach of flagship channel, MTV base, to 48.5 million viewers in first 9 months. Actively managed 6 distribution accounts across Africa with extensive strategic partnership development experience in Angola, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda and Tanzania.
- Developed and sold sponsorship packages to clients including Coca-Cola, Motorola, MTN and Nokia.
- In-depth experience negotiating legal contracts across multiple markets in Africa, Asia and Europe.
August 2002 – August 2003: Marketing Manager at MY JOBS EYE
- Reported to General Manager of Kenya’s first online jobs site. Part of team that built brand and market entry.
1999 – 2001: Senior Marketing Specialist for Charles Schwab
Isis Nyongo Publication
December 2013: Delivering on Kenya’s Mobile Promise, Footprints Press
- This original work is included in this collection of essays reflecting on Kenya 50 years after independence. My piece focused on the history of mobile and it’s potential for the future.
Isis Nyongo Honours and Awards
March 2012: Young Global Leader, World Economic Forum
- Rosemary Odinga Bows Out of Kibra MP Race
- Chris Kirubi Rubbishes Mike Sonko’s Job Offer as Nairobi’s Economic Advisor
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
June 2012: Forbes Africa, Africa’s Top 20 Youngest Power Women
November 2012: Top 100 Dynamic Women changing Africa, Arise Magazine
March 2010: Top 40 Women Under 40, Business Daily Newspaper, Kenya
August 2011: Africa’s Top 10 Women in ICT, IT News
Isis Nyong’o Family, Husband and Children
Isis Nyong’o is married to G. Christopher Madison, CEO of digital advertising firm SmokeSignal. She is the daughter of an American pediatrician, Verna Jean Turkish, and the late pathologist Professor Aggrey Nyong’o from Kenya.
She is the youngest of four children and siblings include Kwame Nyong’o, illustrator and animator in Kenya, Tavia Nyong’o, Associate Professor of Performance Studies at New York University, and Dr. Omondi Nyong’o, Ophthalmologist at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Isis Nyong’o Contacts, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
Isis Nyong’o PhotosIsis Nyongo
Isis Nyongo Video