Joseph Kamaru Biography and Profile
Joseph Kamaru was born in 1939 in Muranga county. He is a benga kikuyu musician and the chairman of the Kenya Association of Phonographic Industries (KAPI), he owns a church ministry in Nairobi.
Joseph Kamaru Musical Career
He started pursuing music in 1965. In 1967 he made his first breakthrough in with the song “Celina”.The height of his musical career was between 1975-1985.
In the late 1980’s he was the first Kenyan artist to play at the Carnivore Restaurant, then only hosting foreign artists. According to Martin Dunford, the owner of the restaurant, Kamaru’s vibrant performance opened doors for other Kenyan artist to perform at the venue.
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Many of his songs were political, either praising or criticising the government.Initially he had a good relationships with president Jomo Kenyatta, but after writing a song condemning the murder of Josiah Mwangi Kariuki in 1975 Kamaru fell out with him.
After Kenyatta died, the next president Daniel arap Moi was close to the artist. In 1980 Kamaru toured Japan as a part of President Moi’s entourage. After the visit he composed Safari ya Japan praising the president. But the President was not pleased with Kamaru’s support for multiparty democracy in the late 1980’s.
In 1993 he turned from secular music to gospel music and disbanded his previous group, the Kamaru Super sounds.The change saw a plunge in his record sales.
Joseph Kamaru Songs
- Muti Uyu Mukwona
- Muhiki wa Mikosi
- Kenyatta ari mbere
- Tuthiaga Tukenete
- Kenya ya Ngai
- Mbaara ya Ndakaini
- Tugatigithanio ni gikuo
- Ke Ngwitikirie
- Ngwika Atia
- Mutondo wa Wendo
- Kuma Ndemi na Mathathi
- Charia Ungi
- Nairobi Iriagwa Ki?
- Mbara ndiri Mwago
- Ningugira Ira
Joseph Kamaru Facebook and Twitter
Joseph Kamaru Photo