A Guide To Kabarnet Museum
Kabarnet Museum opened its doors in 1996 and uses the former residence of the District Commissioner. It is set in lush botanical gardens with labeled trees and shrubs. Its main public galleries feature educational exhibitions on the Rift Valley peoples cultures, environment, indigenous knowledge, and science.
Kabarnet museum is located in Kabarnet town, Baringo district in Rift Valley province, about 265kms north-west of Nairobi. The town is named after a missionary called Barnet, from Alsace, France. The local inhabitants of the region are Tugen, a sub-tribe of the larger Kalenjn community. They added the prefix ‘ka’ meaning homestead in their language, thus Kabarnet – homestead of Barnet. It was the administrative headquarters for Baringo district since 1907, when the colonial government made it the seat of the local government.
Kabarnet museum was the first museum in central Rift Valley. It was officially opened to the public in 1996. The museum is housed in former Colonial and African District Commissioner’s office, a building considered to be probably the first permanent building in Baringo District, constructed by Italian prisoners of War in 1930.
Exhibitions at the museum showcase exhibit ethnographical cultural materials such as agricultural tools, weapons, clothing and jewellery of the Rift Valley people – the Keiyo, Marakwet, Samburu, Pokot, Nandi, Kipsigis; an overview of the history of the district from pre-colonial, colonial and post-independence era. Within the museum grounds are different tree species where one can observe different bird species in their natural habitat.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Kabarnet Museum Contacts
Attraction Type: Culture
Category: Art Gallery, Cultural Museum, Community Tourism
Region: North Rift
City / Town: Baringo
Road / Street: Kabarnet Road
Telephone: +254 20 374 2131, +254 721 308485
Entrance Fee: Yes
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/