Kajiado County News
Kajiado county covers an approximated area of 21,900.9 square kilometers. The administrative districts in the County are Central, Isinya, Loitokitok, Magadi, Mashuru, Namanga and Ngong. The County has Nairobi, Machakos, Makueni, Narok, Taita Taveta and Kiambu counties as its immediate neighbours. The main physical features of Kajiado are plains, valleys occasional volcanic hills scarce vegetation in low altitude areas which increases with altitude and rain. Wildlife habitat is a major land occupation.
The county is mainly water stressed where communities cover an average of 10km in search of water
Demographic Features of Kajiado County
Kajiado county has a population growth rate of 5.5 percent; total population was estimated at 807,070 with 401,785 being females and 405,245 males as at 2012. The population is projected to grow to 1 million by 2017
The county has Ngong, Kitengela, Ongata Rongai, Kiserian, Kajiado, Loitokitok, Namanga, Isinya, Sultan Hamud and Ilbisil as the major towns.
Economic Activities in Kajiado County
The growth and development of the County hinges and viable investment in the areas of;
- Agriculture –Horticulture, food crop farming
- Livestock Production – Dairy, beef, hides and skins
- Poultry farming for commercial purposes
- Tourism whose focus is beyond Amboseli National Park as a matter close to our heart. Establishment of conservancies to complement natural habitats is an area ripe for investment.
- Forestry – 16,866.88 ha forest cover. Concerted efforts to improve our forest cover shall be started in earnest. Tree farming as an economic activity shall be encouraged.
The landscape of Kajiado county consists of plains plus some volcanic hills and valleys. The region is very dry with no continually flowing rivers and is officially designated as semi-arid. The annual rainfall varies between 500 and 1,250mm.
- Commodity trading
- Sand harvesting
- Soda ash mining at Lake Magadi
People of Kajiado County
The indigenous people of Kajiado county are the Maasai but there is an increasing influx of peoples from other tribal groups.
Tourist Attractions in Kajiado County
Amboseli National Park
How to get there
- From Nairobi via Namanga (240km) on the Nairobi – Arusha Road, through Meshanani Gate.
- From Nairobi via Emali (228km) on the Nairobi – Mombasa Road through Remito Gate.
- Access from Mombasa is mainly through Tsavo West National Park via Kimana (Olkelunyiet) Gate.
- The park has a single airstrip for light aircrafts at Empusel gate, Kilimanjaro Buffalo Lodge and Namanga town.
- Olkelunyiet Gate
- Meshanani Gate
- Kitirua Gate
- Remito Gate
- Airstrip Gate
Temperature ranges from 20—3O°C and rainfall from 200mm – 700 mm.
Two rain seasons:
- Long rains — March and April.
- Short rains — November and December.
Major attractions in Amboseli National Park
- Large Herds of Elephants — the pachyderms of Amboseli are the longest studied elephants in the wild since the early 1971.
- Mt. Kilimanjaro
- Big Five
- Observation Hill for an aerial view of the park with its swamps, dust plains and Mt Kilimanjaro.
- Swamp below Observation Hill which is frequented by elephants, buffaloes, hippos and water fowls like pelicans and Egyptian geese.
- Maasai culture.
Wildlife in Amboseli National Park
Leopard, cheetah, Wild dogs, buffalo, elephant, giraffe, zebra, lion, plains game, crocodile, mongoose, hyrax, Dik- dik, Lesser kudu and others Proliﬁc birdlife with approximately 600 species
Major Towns in Kajiado County
Ngong Town – Ngong Town is located on the slopes of Ngong hills and about 20 km from the capital Nairobi. There are modern buildings, supermarkets, wholesale shops, petrol stations and other social amenities in the town.
Kajiado Town – Kajiado Town serves as the headquaters of the county government of Kajiado. It is located about 80 km south of the capital Nairobi along the Nairobi-Arusha road.
- Daniel Ndambuki (Churchill) Responds To Rumors That He Is Dead
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Other major towns in Kajiado County include:
- Ongata Rongai
- Sultan Hamud
The late Professor George Saitoti who was a mathematician, the sixth vice president of Kenya and a politician. He was the Member of Parliament for Kajiado North constituency for 24 years.
Peris Tobiko became the first woman from the Maasai community to be elected Member of Parliament for Kajiado East constituency.
Kajiado County Tenders
Kajiado county tenders are awarded in a free, fair and transparency manner in the need to fight corruption in the country.
To access tenders in Kajiado county click the link: https://www.kajiado.go.ke/ for the latest job opportunities in the county.
Kajiado County Jobs opportunities for all qualified personnel and those who would wish to work with Kajiado County government. Jobs in Kajiado County are posted on the county website.
Jobs in Kajiado County are awarded in a free, fair and transparency manner in the need to fight corruption in the country.
To access these Kajiado county jobs advertisement click the link Kajiado County Jobs for the latest job opportunities in the county.
Kajiado County Governor and Deputy Governor
The current governor of Kajiado County is Hon. Dr David Nkedianye and the deputy governor is Hon. Paul Ole Ntiati.
Constituencies in Kajiado County
- Kajiado North Constituency
- Kajiado Central Constituency
- Kajiado East Constituency
- Kajiado South Constituency
Kajiado County Assembly Wards
Kajiado South Constituency
Kajiado East Constituency
Kajiado Central Constituency
Matapato South Ward
Kajiado North Constituency
Ongata Rongai Ward
Kajiado County Contacts
County Government of Kajiado
P.O. Box 11 – 01100