A Guide To Kariandusi Museum
Kariandusi Museum is home to an extensive archaeological site and amongst the first discoveries of Lower Paleolithic sites in East Africa. It is possibly the first Acheulean site to have been found in Situ in East Africa. Hundreds of Bolas and Acheulean hand axes and stone artifacts have been unearthed here.
The Kariandusi archaeological site is amongst the first discoveries of Lower Paleolithic sites in East Africa. There is enough geological evidence to show that in the past, large lakes, sometimes reaching levels hundreds of meters higher than the Present Lake Nakuru and Elementaita, occupied this basin.
Dating back between 700,000 to 1 million years old, Kariandusi is possibly the first Acheulian site to have been found in Situ in East Africa. Dr. Leakey, a renowned paleontologist, believed that this was a factory site of the Acheulian period. He made this conclusion after numerous collections of specimens were found lying in the Kariandusi riverbed.
This living site of he hand-axe man, was discovered in 1928. A rise in the Lake level drove pre-historic men from their lake-side home and buried all the tools and weapons which they left behind in a hurry. The Acheulian stage of the great hand-axe culture, to which this site belongs, is found over a very widespread area from England, France, and Southwest Europe generally to Cape Town.
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Tourist attractions within the site include:
- Camp Site
- Nature Trail
- Archeological Site
- Picnic Site
- Diatomite Mining Site
- Monumental Church Building
Kariandusi Museum Contacts
Attraction Type: Historic Sites
Category: Archaeological site
Region: South Rift
City / Town: Naivasha
Road / Street: Nakuru-Nairobi Road
Telephone: +254 20 374 2131, +254 721 308485
Entrance Fee: Yes