Fraudsters are known to use tactics that take advantage of customers; they require you to provide information or do something yourself. To avoid being party to any frauds or scams on M-PESA, please take note of the following:
Check M-PESA balance
When you perform an M-PESA transaction, you will receive a text message that confirms your transaction and tells you your new balance. You can also check your M-PESA balance by going to “my account” on the M-PESA phone menu.
M-PESA SMS confirmation messages.
When you perform an M-PESA transaction, a text message is sent to your account. The message proves that the M-PESA money you sent has moved from your account into the other person’s account. To avoid errors, always check your M-PESA balance before and after you transact.
Your M-PESA PIN is used to protect the money in your M-PESA account. You have to key in your PIN before you can perform any M-PESA transactions, so choose a PIN that you can easily remember. Use a PIN that is not easy for other people to guess, and do not share your PIN with anyone, not even Safaricom staff. You can change your PIN at any time by going to ‘my account’ on the M-PESA phone menu.
Changing start key to M-PESA PIN
You need to change the start key to an M-PESA PIN number you can remember. Go to your M-PESA phone menu under ‘my account’, and select ‘change PIN’. Enter your ‘old MPESA PIN’ (as the start key); then enter your ‘new M-PESA PIN’ and confirm. You will receive an SMS message confirming that your M-PESA PIN has been changed.
M-PESA account activation after SIM swap
When you perform a SIM replacement on your Safaricom line, you need to re-activate your M-PESA account. Enter your previous M-PESA PIN as the start key.
If you receive an SMS or a call from someone claiming they have sent you money by mistake, please do not send it back before you check your current M-PESA balance.
M-PESA fraud-Confirmation of mobile numbers
- Daniel Ndambuki (Churchill) Responds To Rumors That He Is Dead
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
When sending money via M-PESA, make sure you double check the phone number you are sending money to. As part of the transaction, you will be asked to confirm the transaction details. Ensure the mobile number digits you have entered are correct. It may help to write the number down before you perform your transaction.
M-PESA Secret Word
Once you activate your M-PESA account, you receive a text containing your M-PESA secret word. When you call Customer Care or visit a Safaricom retail center, you may be asked your secret word as a way of proving that the line is yours. You can change your secret word at any time, and there’s no charge. Use the ‘my account’ menu to change your secret word to something you can easily remember.
M-PESA paybill service- *234#
You can now pay your bills via M-PESA. Simply select ‘Pay Bill’ on your M-PESA menu and follow the instructions to complete the transaction. For details on participating partners and their respective business numbers, kindly log on to www.safaricom.co.ke or dial *234# from your Safaricom line.
When registering for M-PESA or transacting at an Agent outlet, you will be asked to show your original identification document. The accepted forms of identification are: Kenyan National ID, passport, military ID, diplomatic ID, and alien ID.
Buy Airtime on M-PESA
You can use your M-PESA menu to buy airtime for your phone, or for someone else. The minimum airtime purchase is KKSh5h5, and there is no additional charge for the service. You will only pay for the airtime purchased.
M-PESA airtime purchase
When you buy M-PESA airtime instead of sending money, the transaction can’t be reversed. This is because they are two different units in financial book keeping.
M-PESA Reversal- save SIM contacts
For customers who have sent funds to the wrong number, educate them as follows:
- To help you avoid M-PESA fraud, we have introduced a new Safaricom SIM card which allows you to save the phone numbers that you frequently use for your M-PESA transactions. You can save the numbers on your SIM card as SIM contacts. This will enable you pick the mobile numbers directly on the M-PESA menu while carrying out M-PESA transactions. It reduces cases of sending money to the wrong number
- The new Safaricom SIM card is available in Safaricom retail shops, dealer outlets and M-PESA agents’ outlets countrywide. It costs KKSh50h50 for a SIM replacement and KKSh100h100 for a new Safaricom line