A Guide To Maralal Sanctuary
Maralal sanctuary is a majestic scenery whose grandeur is enhanced by its consort with wildlife and by the calm dignity of the herdsmen and their herds. Resident games here include impala, eland, buffalo, , warthog and living in harmonious profusion but ever watchful for the leopard and hyena.
Maralal is a frontier town, the beginning of the Great Northern wilderness and the staging post for many great adventures. This simple town is a thriving centre for the local Samburu people, and the streets are always busy with camels, passing warriors and traders.
Beyond Maralal lies some of Kenya’s most beautiful country. Here the broad arid plains give way to the spectacular Loroghi Hills and the high, wild Matthews ranges. Dry river beds course through this land, and have become the tracks and routes of nomadic camel trains. The wild country between Maralal and Turkana is ideal for the adventure seeker.
Here in these vast empty spaces, there is freedom to explore and lose yourself in the wild. Whether you want to take a truck to Turkana or a camel through Samburu land, this is your starting point.
What to see at Maralal Sanctuary
Maralal Sanctuary is home to zebras, impalas, elands, buffalos, warthogs,baboons and other wildlife. If you have not encountered the zorillas, bush backs and elands, this is the place.
Things to do at Maralal Sanctuary
- Hiking around the Maralal National Sanctuary
- Tracking leopards and hyenas, and discover the traditional arts of the Samburu Maasai warriors
- Stay in a Traditional Samburu Maasai Village
- Visit Kenyatta home where Jomo Kenyatta was detained prior to his release
- Drive 15km to the spectacular Rift Valley viewpoint at Malasso
Accommodation And Hotels At Maralal Sanctuary
Maralal Safari Lodge is set in Maralal Game Sanctuary, with beautiful landscapes, a wide assortment of wildlife, and the best place from where to experience the Annual Camel Derby. Guests enjoy the restaurant and bar which afford fantastic wildlife viewing in luxurious surroundings.
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- Inspiration on the 7 Principles of an Eagle
Apart from having the best stocked bar in the region, the inglenook fireplaces are perfect for chilly evenings. The rooms are built of local cedar and cypress woods, with most comprising a spacious ‘Swiss Chalet’ feel. Each has its own fireplace, hot showers, comfortable beds and shaded patio decks.
The wildlife come right to the rooms – with zebras, monkeys and impala being frequent guests. Bird watchers will be in heaven too. The lodge amenities are very modest, but we do certainly have the best stocked bar in northern Kenya and we also have the only swimming pool in the region.
How to get to Maralal Sanctuary
By road: Maralal is accessible from Nairobi via either Baringo or Isiolo, by either bus/matatu or private transport. Driving time from Nairobi is approximately 6 hours. Accessing the North from Maralal can be difficult without private transport. Maralal is a good base for organized safaris.
By air: There is an airstrip servicing charter aircraft.
A Map to Maralal Sanctuary
Maralal Sanctuary Contacts
Attraction Type: Wildlife
Category: Wildlife Conservancy
Region: North Rift
City / Town: Maralal
Telephone: 254 65 62456
Entrance Fee: Yes