A Guide To Mau Forest
Mau Forest is the most complex forest reserves in the Rift Valley of Kenya, and is the largest indigenous montane forest in East Africa. The forest registers one of the highest rainfall rates in Kenya and thus the largest water catchment area, with many local rivers originating from it.
Fewer trees mean less water.
The Mau Forest Complex acts as a natural water tower for Kenya, storing water during the rainy season and releasing it during the dry season. Approximately 10 million people—not to mention countless wildlife species—depend on the rivers fed by the forest complex. But, human activity, including agriculture, logging, and settlements, has reduced the Mau Forest to a quarter of what it once was, disrupting the forest’s role in storing and distributing water to outlying areas.
Fewer trees can also lead to flooding.
Forest cover allows the land underneath to steadily store and then release water slowly. Though when an area has been deforested, rainwater tends to flow more quickly into rivers, increasing the likelihood of flash floods. Rainwater that deluges an area can also lead to top soil erosion and soil nutrient depletion.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Mau Forest Contacts
Attraction Type: Scenery & Landscapes, Wildlife
Category: Forest, Lake or River, Birding Site
Region: South Rift
City / Town: Elburgon
Road / Street: Elburgon
Telephone: 259 20 239 6440
259 715 735555
Entrance Fee: Yes
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/