Miguna Miguna Biography and Profile
Miguna Miguna was born in Magina village in Kisumu county in Kenya is the last born in his family. He is named after his dad. That is why he has the same name twice: Miguna wuod Miguna. He is a Kenyan author and columnist. He is also a barrister and solicitor in Canada, and an advocate of the High Court of Kenya.He served as a senior adviser to former Prime Minister Raila Odinga from 2009 to 2011.
Miguna Miguna Education
Miguna Miguna went to Onjiko Secondary before proceeding to Njiiris High School. In both schools, he was a prefect. In 1987, he serving as a student leader at the University of Nairobi, for a BA in Literature and Political science. During his second year at the University of Nairobi, he was elected to the SONU as finance secretary. He was also the editor in chief of the campus newspaper.
After the elections Miguna Miguna was detained by the Moi regime for his political activism.After he was released, Miguna fled to neighbouring Tanzania on foot and briefly stayed in Swaziland. He was granted political asylum in Canada where he continued to pursue his higher education.
In Canada, continued to pursue his higher education where obtained his Bachelor of Arts in political science and philosophy from the University of Toronto in 1990 .He graduated with a first class. He soon thereafter enrolled for a law degree at Osgoode Hall Law School. He later pursued masters in law graduating with distinction.
During his college years, Miguna Miguna started to fight racism and discrimination against people of color in Canada. He was a regular contributor in some of the newspapers in Canada with wide readership.He was admitted to the Ontario Bar in 1995 and the Kenyan Bar in 2008.
Miguna Miguna Political Career
After his return, Miguna contested in the primaries of the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM)’s nomination for Nyando Constituency but lost to Frederick Outa Otieno. In March 2009, he was appointed as Prime Minister Raila Odinga’s senior adviser on coalition affairs and concurrently served as the secretary to the Permanent Committee on the Management of the Grand Coalition.
Miguna Miguna launched his first memoir titled Peeling Back the Mask: A Quest for Justice in Kenya on 14 July 2012 which made People to protest against him and was attacked whilst promoting his book at a hotel in Mombasa and had to be rescued by the police.
In September 2012, Miguna Miguna resigned from ODM as a life member and announced his candidacy for Governor of Nairobi County in the 2013 gubernatorial election as an independent candidate.Miguna endorsed Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2013 presidential election.
Miguna Miguna launched his second memoir in February 2013 titled Kidneys for the King: Deforming the Status Quo in Kenya.
Miguna Miguna said that he was suspended because his enemies in ODM and PNU were piling pressure on the PM to sack him. He was reinstated after he suggested to the media that he would write a book. The PM feared the book would expose him.
Miguna Miguna Job History
2009 – 2011: Senior Adviser on coalition, constitutional and legal affairs to the Prime Minister of the Republic of Kenya, Raila Odinga.
- Served as the Joint Secretary to the Permanent Committee on the Management of Grand Coalition Affairs.
- Represented the ODM and Mr. Odinga during the constitutional review process in addition to participating in other important functions of state and government.
- Rosemary Odinga Bows Out of Kibra MP Race
- Chris Kirubi Rubbishes Mike Sonko’s Job Offer as Nairobi’s Economic Advisor
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
2006 – 2009: Senior Adviser and Chief Strategist for the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) and its party leader, Raila Odinga.
From 2008: Advocate in Kenya
February 1995: Admitted to the Ontario Bar as a Barrister and Solicitor
1989-1994: Coordinator of the Committee for Democracy in Kenya (CDK)
- An exile-based pro-democracy lobby group that successfully campaigned for the repeal of section 2A of the old Constitution that had made Kenya a de jure one party state.
Miguna Miguna Publications
- Disgraceful Osgoode and Other Essays. Toronto: Av Publications. 1994. ISBN 0969822812.
- Songs of Fire. Toronto: Av Publications. 1994. OCLC 31781822.
- Afrika’s Volcanic Song. Toronto: Av Publications. 1995. ISBN 0969822820.
- Toes Have Tales. Toronto: Av Publications. 1995. ISBN 0969822839.
- Peeling Back the Mask: A Quest for Justice in Kenya. London: Gilgamesh Africa. 2012. ISBN 9781908531216.
- Kidneys for the King: Deforming the Status Quo in Kenya. Ontario: Integrity Books. 2013. ISBN 9780991796205.
Miguna miguna Facebook and Twitter
Miguna miguna Photos