A Guide To Mt.Longonot National Park
Mt. Longonot National Park is about 90km from Nairobi. It is a young volcano which rises to 2,776m above sea level. Mt.Longonot National Park is an arresting sight for visitors to the Naivasha basin. Mt Longonot was created by the massive eruptions which formed the Great Rift Valley and has a beautiful V-shaped valleys.
Facts About Mt.Longonot National Park
Altitude: 1,875-2,776 meters above sea level.
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Area: 52 sq km.
Province: Rift Valley, close to Hells Gate National Park.
Distance From Nairobi: 90km
What To See At Mt.Longonot National Park
The extinct volcano and crater forest, scenic landscape, views of Lake Naivasha and the Great Rift Valley are the major attractions. Major wildlife attractions include the buffalo, eland, lion, leopard, bushbuck, zebra, giraffe, Grant’s and Thomson gazelles and antelopes. The park, 52sq km, is accessible via tarmac road from Nairobi. It does not operate on the smart card system and entry is by cash. There is no accommodation in the park although options are available in Naivasha town and on the South Lake Road.
Mount Longonot has steep sparsely vegetated sides but the crater itself is densely forested. A fire in 2009 that swept up the sides and into the crater did burn much of the forests, causing a great deal of stress for the animals that had to survive on the ravaged bush.
Mount Longonot National Park has some animals but it is more about the fascinating scenery and the hiking that the park is known for. Animals found in the park include Zebra, Giraffe and Buffalo with Leopards known only from their tracks.
The main attractions of the park include the extinct volcano and crater forest and the views of Lake Naivasha and the Great Rift Valley. It is also a great destination for birding – and in particular birds of prey.
What To Do At Mt. Longonot National Park
The main activities in Mount Longonot include Hiking, Rock Climbing, Biking, Walking, Birding and viewing Lake Naivasha.
Accommodation And Hotels At Mt.Longonot National Park
There are no accommodation facilities in the park itself but Naivasha town and surrounds has a range of options. The Olongoonot campsite does provide for those who prefer to rough it.
Main Atrractions At Mt. Longonot National Park
- Extinct volcano and crater forest, Scenic Landscape, Views of lake Naivasha and the Great Rift Valley.
- The park is a paradise for birds of prey
How to get to Mt. Longonot National Park
- The park is accessible via tarmac road from Nairobi (90 kms)
Campsites in Mt. Longonot National Park
- Oloongonot Campsite
Mount Longonot National Park fees
Adults KSH: 350
Child KSH: 250
Adults KSH: 700
Child KSH: 350
Non – Resident
Mt. Longonot National Park contacts
Attraction Type: Wildlife, Scenery & Landscapes
Category: National Park, Mountain, Volcano
Region: South Rift
City / Town: Naivasha
Road / Street: Mai Mahiu Road
Telephone: 254 50 50255