Nairobi is a national, regional and international strategic centre for education, commerce, transport, regional cooperation and economic development. It connects the Eastern, Central and Southern African countries. The following areas of investment have been identified towards sustainable economic growth and development.
The Nairobi Metropolitan Region (NMR) comprises 15 Local Authorities spread over 4 Counties, namely Nairobi, Kiambu, Machakos and Kajiado. It covers approximately 32,000 Square Kilometers and transcends four current provinces. i.e. Nairobi, Eastern, Central and Rift Valley.
- Under Vision 2030, six regions were identified as flagship projects for Housing and Urbanization. The regions are earmarked for rapid economic development through preparation of metropolitan and investment plans. The NMR was picked for immediate
- implementation due to the following strategic factors: Superior status as Kenya’s capital City;
- Connectivity to major hubs in the world – gateway to Eastern and Central Africa; linkage to Mombasa Port by road and rail;
- Availability of skilled manpower;
- Proximity to major tourist attractions; e.g. game parks, Great Rift Valley, etc. and ample
- hotel accommodation;
- Liberalized business environment and well developed stock market (Nairobi Stock Exchange).
- Location of majority of large manufacturing firms, some of which offer complementary services (forward and backward linkages).
- Large market for manufactured goods and services; combined population within East Africa Community and COMESA region approximately 126 million.
- Relatively well developed infrastructure – physical, social and ICT.
- Favorable climate / weather and varied attractive physical/geographical features.
Nairobi Metro 2030 Strategy
As an off-shoot of Vision 2030, the Ministry of Nairobi Metropolitan Development (MONMED) formulated a development blue print dubbed “Nairobi Metro 2030 Strategy”. The Strategy has the Vision of NMR as “A World Class African Metropolis”. Its goal is to build a
safe, secure and prosperous Metropolitan Region. The development strategy aims to transform the NMR into a robust, internationally competitive, dynamic and inclusive economy. It is anticipated that investment capital of about Ksh 33 Trillion has to be injected into the region from the public and private sectors. Public Private Partnership (PPP), with Government facilitation, will therefore be a major driving force in resource mobilization and utilization.
Available investment opportunities include;
1. Metropolitan Spatial Plan
The Ministry of Nairobi Metropolitan Development commissioned an international firm to prepare a spatial framework for sustainable development within the NMR. This will form a basis for preparation of detailed physical development plans for various parts/centres of the NMR. The latter shall spell out specific land uses /zones and hence guide development project location. The physical development plans will indicate investment locations for either specific land uses e.g. commercial, industrial, residential, e.t.c or make proposals for compatible mixed land uses. Provision will also be made for infrastructure networks, e.g. transport (road, rail),
water, sewerage and solid waste disposal.
The Metropolitan Spatial Plan concept has proposed establishment of six (6 No.) new towns; two towns in each of the Metropolitan Counties (except Nairobi).The new towns have distinct functions, meant to decongest the core Nairobi and provide equitable economic development throughout the NMR by attracting new investment/industries. Each of the towns is expected to cover 2000 Hectares of land and accommodate a population of 100,000 people by 2030. They are distributed as follows: –
In Kiambu County
i) Aerotropolis: An Airport city to be located near Thika, next to the proposed new
ii) Knowledge cum Healthy City: To be located along Limuru Road near Ruaka. Its main
function would be agro-technological research and healthy facilities.
In Machakos County:
i) Cyber City: To be located at the junction of Greater Eastern By-pass and Kangundo Road.
Its main function will be information technology.
ii) Sports City: Proposed to be at junction of Mombasa Road and Machakos orbital. Its main
function is sports activities.
In Kajiado County
i) Transport New Town:To be located near Kajiado meant to provide services to the transportcum-
logistics hub, consisting of Special Economic Zone, rail/truck terminals and inland
ii) Amboseli New Town,to be established adjacent to Amboseli National Park offering
hospitality services to promote tourism.
2. Disaster Management
i) Firefighting: Equipment /vehicles (purchase, operation, maintenance) and stations. Training schools for firefighting staff; technical experts for maintenance/repair.
ii) Ambulance/rescue services: Vehicle fleet, Maintenance /repair, Training in operations and servicing.
iii) Security lighting in towns; street lighting, high masts. Installation and maintenance.
3. Nairobi Metropolitan Mass Rapid Transit Programme
To improve accessibility within the metropolitan region through a new bus system with designated bus lanes. This will require investments in infrastructure and buses. The bus rapid transit system will start with three transport corridors; Athi River town to Kikuyu town, Thika to The Central Business District (CBD) and Jomo Kenyatta International Air port to the CBD.
4. Develop a Modern Financial Services Hub
The central location of Nairobi Metropolitan Region and its strategic location within the African continent present a good Investment opportunity for the development of a modern financial services hub at Nairobi’s upper hill district. This will help provide an economy built around its strength of finance, trade and business services.
5. Development of a Regional Trade and Business Services Hub
The development of Nairobi Metropolitan Region as a regional and global service centre will require construction of wholesale hubs and producer markets in the Nairobi Metropolitan area and other major towns in Kenya. This is intended to provide an avenue for product consolidation, market infrastructure for easier market access, creating better and friendly facilities, and improve the supply chain from small scale producers to retail markets. The Project objectives is to construct a fully equipped integrated mega producer wholesale markets and encourage large scale agricultural producer groups around the major towns including Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Eldoret, Nakuru, Embu and Nyeri. This is expected to increase wholesale business activities in these towns and their environs.
6. Provision of Non-motorized transportation
Investment to help decongestion traffic within the Metro CBD is required and this will involve; integrated traffic management systems to also include signalization of junctions, pedestrianization of city streets, provision of Non-motorized transportation and installation of street lights in the metro Local Authorities and all major urban centers.
7. Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
CCTV has in the last few years proved to be very effective in both deterring criminals and arresting perpetrators of crime in many developed countries. In Kenya, as envisioned in the Vision 2030 all the major cities are preparing to become 24 hour operational centers. There is need to install surveillance cameras to enhance security in these cities. The Government in collaboration with Private Sector and the City Council of Nairobi has already installed surveillance cameras in some parts of Nairobi streets as a pilot project. This will help improve efficiency on safety and security and reduce the cost of policing in the metropolitan area. In addition there will be an extension of the CCTV infrastructure and services to cover other major commercial hubs including Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru. This therefore provides an attractive area for investment.
8. Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Planning and Mapping
The Nairobi Metropolitan Region requires joint ventures and PPP in institutionalizing GISbased spatial planning and management at the Ministry level and the Metropolitan Local authorities.
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin