Najib Balala Biography
Hon.Najib Balala was Born in 1967. He attended Kakamega High School before joining Mombasa Polytechnic for a Diploma in Business Studies.Najib Balala has a strong interest in international relations, which enables him to leverage diplomacy and financial investment in the tourism and international trade.
Najib Balala Education Background
Undergraduate student at the United States International University (USIU) undertaking Bachelor of Arts (BA) in International Relations
Undergraduate student at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard undertaking a course in Leadership
Undergraduate student at the University of Toronto , undertaking Business Administration and Urban Management.
He later joined Kakamega High for his secondary education.
He attended Serani Boys primary school
Najib Balala – Political Positions
2012 : Founder – Republican Congress Party of Kenya
2007- 2012 : Member of Parliament for Mvita Constituency
2002 – 2007 : Member of Parliament for Mvita Constituency
2005 : Founder Member – Orange Democratic Movement
1998 – 1999 : Mayor of Mombasa.
Najib Balala – Cabinet / Ministerial Positions:
2015 – Up to date : Cabinet Secretary for Tourism
May 2013 – 2015 : Cabinet Secretary for Mining (incl. Chairman of the Mining Governing Council)
2008 – 2012 : Minister for Tourism (incl. Chairman, UN World Tourism Organisation)
- Rosemary Odinga Bows Out of Kibra MP Race
- Chris Kirubi Rubbishes Mike Sonko’s Job Offer as Nairobi’s Economic Advisor
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
June 2005 – November 2005 : Minister for Natural Heritage
January 2003 – June 2004 : Minister for Gender, Sports, Culture and Social Services
Jnuary 2003 – June 2003 : Acting Minister for Labour
Najib Balala Civil Society Positions:
2003 – 2012 : Patron, Lamu Culture Festival
2000 – 2003 : Chairman, Kenya Chamber of Commerce and Industry
1996 – 1999 : Chairman, Mombasa and Coast Tourism Association
1996 – 1998 : Vice Chairman, Kenya Tourism Board
Najib Balala – Membership
- Member of Board of Directors of Makena Holdings Limited,
- Member of Board of Directors of Twin Leaves Limited
- Member of Board of Directors of Mount Kenya coffee Limited
- Member of Board of Directors of Gulf Express Travel Limited
Najib Balala – Ministerial Career
Honourable Najib Balala has returned from the Ministry of Mining where he was appointed as Kenya’s first Cabinet Secretary in May 2013 with a mandate to deliver the legal framework and transparent processes required to strengthen the Kenyan mining sector and achieve equitable sharing of the country’s mineral benefits between the National Government, County Governments, communities, the people of Kenya and investors alike. Hon Balala delivered the Draft Mining Bill in 2014, the first policy and institutional framework review of Kenya’s mining sector since 1940. During his tenure as Cabinet Secretary, Hon. Balala was elected Chairman of the Southern and Eastern Africa Mining Centre (SEAMIC) Governing Council.
Prior to the institution of Kenya’s new Constitution in 2012, Hon. Balala served simultaneously as Member of Parliament for Mvita Constituency, Mombasa, and as Kenya’s Minister for Tourism from April 2008 to March 2012 where he delivered the Tourism Bill and gave the sector a policy and legal framework geared towards maintaining sustainability. As Tourism Minister, Hon Balala was elected Chairman of the United Nations World Tourism Organization in 2011 and was voted Best Tourism Minister in Africa in 2009 by Africa Investor (AI).
Hon. Balala is credited with steering Kenya’s tourism sector to recovery following the post-election violence in 2008. He played a significant role in boosting growth and stability in the Kenyan and regional tourism sector, working closely with private and institutional investors and with conservation and regional development agencies to ensure that the economic potential of this vital sector was both prudently and sustainably managed.
During this period, he was honoured with his first appointments to serve in various Ministerial portfolios for the Government of Kenya. He served briefly as Kenya’s Minister for National Heritage from June to November 2005, where he spearheaded the Heritage Bill; Kenya’s Minister for Gender, Sports, Culture and Social Services from January 2003 to June 2004, where he spearheaded the Gender Commission Bill; and as Acting Minister of Labour from January to June 2003.
Najib Balala – Honours and Awards
- Silver Star (SS) Medal By President
- E.G.H (Elder of Golden Heart) Medal By President
- Africa Investor 2009.
- Best African Minister for Tourism 2010.
- Vice-President UNWTO World Tourism Organization
- Chairman UNWTO World Tourism Organization.
Najib Balala Family
Najib Balala Wife
Najib Balala is married to Naja Balala.
Najib Balala Children
Najib Balala and his wife Naja Balala are blessed with a son Naeem Balala who recently wed.