A Guide To Ol Ari Nyiro Conservancy
Ol ari Nyiro means The Place of Springs in the local Maa language. The conservancy comprises of indigenous relic forest in the area and cut in half by the stunning Mukutan Gorge. It hosts over 400 species of birds and animals like elephants, lions, black rhino, leopard and antelopes.
As with many safari conservancies in the frontiers of Laikipia, Ol Ari Nyiro Conservancy began as a ranch and later transitioned into a wildlife conservancy under the umbrella of the Gallmann Memorial Foundation. The conservancy is located on the western side of Laikipia and covers an estimated 100,000 acres. The landscape includes the impressive Mukutan Gorge, rolling hills, grasslands and indigenous relic forest, the only one of its kind in the area. The abundance of water in the conservancy is attributed to 62 man-made lakes, Mukutan River, waterfalls and natural springs, few of which are thermal hot springs. Successful management of land and wildlife makes Ol Ari Nyiro Conservancy home to an abundance of diverse species, including one of Kenya’s largest population of Cape buffalo on private land, giraffes, elephants, antelopes, zebras and great predators, such as lions, cheetahs and leopards (read more on the best time to visit Laikipia with AfricanMecca). More than 400 bird species have been recorded in the conservancy including 85 species that are listed as vulnerable and endangered, further attesting to the benefits of effective resource management. Even the smallest threatened species thrive in the conservancy, including many rare insects, reptiles and amphibians. These tiny creatures are often found nestled within some 2350 foliage species, many of which are only found in the conservancy, lending to the Ol ari Nyiro’s reputation as being one of East Africa’s most botanically varied zone.
Ol Ari Nyiro Conservancy Contacts
Attraction Type: Wildlife, Scenery & Landscapes
Category: Wildlife Conservancy, Birding Site, Lake or River
Region: North Rift
Telephone: 254 20 232 6170
Entrance Fee: Yes
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin