Peter Munya Biography
Peter Munya was born in 1970 in Muthaara, Meru County. He is the Cabinet Secretary, East African Community and Northern Corridor Development. He is the former governor for Meru county.
Peter Munya Education Background
In January 1995 he went on to the University of Brussels, Belgium, on a Belgium Embassy scholarship. He undertook and attained a master’s degree in International Law (International Economic Integration Law). He proceeded to University of Georgia, US, where he attained a second master’s degree in Law (Public International Law).
In 1993 he graduated with a Bachelor of Law degree (LLB Hons), from the University of Nairobi. At the University of Nairobi, Peter Munya was twice elected, in 1992 and 1993, chair of the Kenya Law Students Society (KLLS). Upon graduation, he took up internship at Kamau Kuria and Kiraitu Advocates in Nairobi.
He sat for and passed his ‘O’ Levels at Chogoria Boys High School, and proceeded to Meru School for his ‘A’ levels. At Meru School, Hon. Peter Munya was the Chairman of the Debating Club and a winner of the Provincial Public Speaking Competition.
Peter Munya Profession Career
- 2002 – he set up Kimayo and Munya Advocates.
- 2000- 2002: He was appointed as a lecturer of Law at Moi University
- In 1998: He was a Research Associate with Program for International and Graduate Legal Studies at the University of Georgia Law School
- Upon his return to Kenya after graduating from the University of Georgia, USA,he became a lecturer at the Kenya School of Professional Studies (KSPS) and Kenya School of Monetary Studies (KSMS).
- 1993 after he graduated from the University of Nairobi he took up an internship at Kamau Kuria and Kiraitu Advocates in Nairobi
Peter Munya Political Career
- From 27th March 2013- Up to date: Governor of Meru County
- From 2008 – 4th March 2013 :Member of Parliamentfor Tigania East Assistant Minister of East African Community
- From 2007 – January 2013 for Tigania East of Party of National Unity Assistant Minister for Internal Security
- April 2008 – March 2013: Assistant Minister foe East African Community.
- October 2006 – December 2007 : Assistant Minister for Internal Security and Provincial Administration.
- From 2003 – Up to 2007 : Member of Parliament for Tigania East Constituency
- From 2002 – Up to2007 : for Tigania East of National Rainbow Coalition
Peter Munya Publications
- In 2002 he was published in the Moi University Journal, under the tittle “The Role of the International Court of Justice in Resolving African Disputes: Past, Present and Future Prospects”.
- In 1997 he was published in the Boston University International Law Journal, under the title “The Role of the Organization of African Unity in Conflict Resolution and Dispute Settlement in Africa.”
Peter Munya Achievements
- Hon. Peter Munya was the Chairman of the Debating Club and a winner of the Provincial Public Speaking Competition at Meru School.
- In 1992 and 1993, he was elected as the chair of the Kenya Law Students Society (KLLS) at the University of Nairobi.
- He founded and chaired Kenya Young Parliamentarians Association with the aim of championing in Parliament, issues affecting Kenyan youth.
- Peter Munya founded the Tigania Women SACCO with the main objective of empowering women economically by enabling them access affordable credit and mobilize savings. The SACCO has enabled women to venture into small-scale businesses and other income generating activities. Women have also accessed entrepreneurship and book keeping skills.
Peter Munya Committee Membership
- Member of the Health Club Management committee
- Member of Parliamentary Investment Committee (PIC)
- Member of Committee on Powers and Privileges – (National Assembly Powers and Privileges Act)
Peter Munya Family
His parents are Mr. Jackson Munya M’Rukunga and Mrs. Grace Mwakithi He is married to Phoebe Munya and they have two children Karauni and Nkio.
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best News, Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/
Peter Munya Contacts
Address: Parliament Buildings
P.O Box 41842 – 00100