Githu Muigai resigns as Attorney-General
On 13th February 2018 Attorney-General Githu Muigai resigned.
The President appointed President of the Court of Appeal,
Justice Paul Kihara Kariuki to replace him if he gets approved
by the National Assembly.
“I have received with regret the resignation of Attorney-General Prof Githu Muigai. I thank him for his service for the last six and a half years,” President Uhuru Kenyatta said in a tweet from his verified account.
Attorney General Prof Githu Muigai Biography
Prof. Githu Muigai was born on 31st January 1960 in Ndumberi village Kiambu County. He is the Attorney General of Kenya since 2011. He is a partner in the Mohammed Muigai Advocates and currently the UN special Rapporteur on contemplary forms of racism, racial discrimination xenophobia and related intolerance.
Prof. Githu Muigai Education
- 2001: Prof. Githu Muigai was awarded a doctorate degree in law
- From 1985 – 1986: Graduate student at the Columbia University Law School, New York for a masters degree in International Law.
- 1984-1985: Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Legal Practice (Dip Law).
- From 1980 – 1984: Undergraduate student at the University of Nairobi, Bachelor’s Degree in Law at
- 1978-1979: Secondary school student at Meru High School, East African Advanced Certificate of Education.
- 1974- 1977: Secondary school student at Githiga Secondary School in O-level,East African Certificate of Education.
- 1967 – 1973: Primary School Student at St. James, Kiambu Primary School.
Prof. Githu Muigai Career
Muigai Githu specialized in public law and trans-national legal practice and is a recognized authority on business regulatory matters and in international commercial arbitration practicing in commercial litigation and arbitration, information and communication technology law-where he helped draft the Kenya communication Regulation 2007, constitutional and administrative law, insurance and banking law, public procurement law, public and private international law, mergers and acquisition law and investment law.
Prof. Githu Muigai has been a partner in Mohammed Muigai Advocates since 1995 and a lecturer in Nairobi University since 1991.
Prof. Githu Muigai is also a member of the following professional societies.
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best News, Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators,
- American Association of Trial Lawyers,
- Institute of Public Secretaries,
- Law Society of Kenya,
- East African Law Society,
- Council of Legal Education,
- International Commission of Jurists International Bar
- Association and Commonwealth Lawyers Association
Prof. Githu Muigai Salary and Wealth
While Prof. Githu Muigai will enjoy his perks as agreed at the time of his joining the public service, any future entrant into the same position will have his or hers governed by the terms set by the SRC.
For the position of A-G, future holders will earn Ksh. 792,000 a month. Prof Githu Muigai’s total perks, as disclosed in the Kenya Budget Estimates amounts to Ksh.3.3 million a month.
Prof. Githu Muigai Profile
Hon. Prof. Githu Muigai has over 20 years experience in the practice of law in Kenya and in East Africa. Prof. Muigai holds LLB and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Nairobi and an LLM Degree from Columbia University School of Law, New York. He was called to the Bar in 1985. In addition to the practice of law he is an Associate Professor of Public law in the School of Law of the University of Nairobi (currently on leave of absence).
Prof. Githu Muigai has a wide range of areas of practice which include Commercial Litigation and Arbitration, Constitutional and Administrative Law, Information and Communications Technology Law, Insurance and Banking Law, Investments Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Public and Private International Law, Public Procurement Law. From August 2008 – September 2011 Prof. Githu Muigai was the UN Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance.
Prof. Githu Muigai is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK) and a member of the American Association of Trial Lawyers, Institute of Public Secretaries, Law Society of Kenya, East African Law Society, Council of Legal Education, International Commission of Jurists International Bar and the Association and the Commonwealth Lawyers Association.
Hon. Prof. Githu Muigai was sworn as sixth Attorney General of the Republic of Kenya on the 23rd August 2011. The Attorney General is the Principal Legal Adviser to Government of the Republic of Kenya.
Prof. Githu Muigai Family
Prof. Githu Muigai Wife
Prof. Githu Muigai is married to Justice Margaret Waringa Muigai a judge of the High Court who was appointed by Chief Justice Willy Mutunga in 2014.
Prof. Githu Muigai Children
Githu Muigai and Margaret Waringa together have 3 grown up Children.
Prof. Githu Muigai Twitter
Prof. Githu Muigai Photo
Prof. Githu Muigai Quotes
- “Mathew Muli, the then Attorney General -we cannot call him anything else because that was his official title- tried to keep his knowledge of the law concealed. His only acquaintance with the law was incidental or historical”
- “I am here to jumpstart your mind from lethargy”
- “I believe you are familiar with carnal knowledge? The concept that is, not the practical part. Someone with experience? Legal experience you dirty minded fools!”
- “God asked him, ‘Who are you?’ and he replied ‘I’m Jomo Kenyatta, President of Kenya and you’re sitting on my chair!’” (Trying a hand at stand up comedy)
- “The only difference between you and a cow is what I teach you”
- “The law is so generous that it presumes that everyone is sane”
- “Most women would prefer the sperm of a law professor to that of a law student”
- “We are not authorities in law. By ‘we’ I mean ‘you’. Some of you might be tempted to think that we are in the same category”
- “When I ask you a question, give me an answer in the context of the 21st Century because that is where your challenges lie. Don’t give me an answer according to your grandfather because he is either dead or dying”
- “Killing is a statement of fact, but murder is a conclusion of the law”
- “This gentleman, and I use the word gentleman with the widest elasticity possible, always acted ex cathedra”
- “What a pretentious name!” (When some guy called Muthee was asked what his name was)
- “You call me Sir and I call you Sir. The only difference is that YOU will mean it!”
- “Not even the devil knows what a man is thinking, leave alone a woman”
- “If I was to be appointed the Chief Justice, which I think would be a terribly good idea, I would listen to everybody, including you, for whatever it is worth…”
- “I agree with the Honourable Justice Kwach, that the legal profession is in danger of being infiltrated by peasants”
- “The most precious thing in life is life itself. Which is why murder is the gravest offence as it deprives the victim the most precious thing in life”
- “For the purposes of my lectures, all time will be in GMT and only my Swiss watch will apply”
- “That is a very stupid answer, but it is the right one”
- “If your female client is going to be convicted of murder, make sure she’s pregnant. Why are you laughing? Of course, I don’t mean that you should be the one making sure!”
- “Bigamy is the only crime where two rites make a wrong”
- “Robbery With Violence… now that is a good example of how not to make a law. It is pure nonsense and tautological”
- “If you DO NOT know the law of Kenya, you DO NOT impress me at all”
- “I radiate knowledge because I am in intellectual puberty and not intellectual menopause.”
- “Charles Njonjo, the then Attorney General, was wrong. Do you know why he was wrong? Because I say so”
Prof. Githu Muigai Video
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- Inspiration on the 7 Principles of an Eagle