A Guide To Ruiru Club
With a course description of 6,734 yards and 72 par for men and a par of 73 covering a yard of 5,926 for women, Ruiru Club derives its beauty from a course-view of Maua Hills of Machakos and Aberdare Range. Members enjoy other competitions such as tennis and volleyball.
Ruiru Sports Club started as a tennis club in 1922. The club was moved to the present site in 1923 where land was available for a golf course. It was laid out by Mr. Overtone who was a Colonial Police Inspector at Ruiru. The course was re-constructed on an improved layout by club members in 1930 using large gangs of African Labourers and reconstructed the tees and browns. The first golf Captain was Mr. G.J. Glassford in 1930. Mr. John Ross was then the golf captain for twenty consecutive years between 1931 to 1950. The club had 30 golfing members with reciprocal arrangements with Thika, Makuyu, Nyeri, Nanyuki and Eldoret.
Two strange events were recorded in the Fifties-when Mr. Arne Kopperud killed a rabbit with a tee shot and the shooting of a leopard just off the 5th fairway.
The first stone clubhouse was built in 1924. Since then it has been enlarged on different occasions. The fine bar counter was presented to the club by Mr. B. Kopperud.
Ruiru Sportsclub History Timeline
- 1922 Ruiru Sports Club Started as a Tennis Club at (near Ndarugu)
- 1923 Club was moved to the present site.
- 1930 Course re-constructed on an improved layout by club members
- 1930 The first golf Captain was Mr. G.J. Glassford
- 1931-1950 Mr. John Ross was golf captain for twenty consecutive years
- 1951 Mr. Arne Kopperud killed a rabbit with a tee shot
- 1955 A leopard was shot just off the 5th fairway
Ruiru Club Contacts
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best News, Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/