Samburu Maralal International Camel Derby Description
Samburu Maralal International Camel Derby is held every August and is one of the most unique travel experiences. Each year, Camel Derby brings colour and action to the streets of Maralal as the finest Camels gather for the big race. This is a great attraction for many visitors and locals alike.
Kenya’s Northern Frontier is a wild and untamed region, where people still wander with the seasons, and where one of the continent’s unique events happens every August, the Maralal International Camel Derby. Maralal Town is a relatively large settlement for the area and is set on a hillside. It is the headquarters of the Samburu People who are the cousins of the Maasai.
The town is mostly a market town but the growth of tourism in the region in recent years has ensured that is serves as a base for tourist activities such as wilderness walks, white water rafting and Camel safaris – and of course the Maralal Camel Derby. This remote desert town is a haven for adventurers and nomads wanting to experience Kenya’s wild north.
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Annual Derby Day in Maralal
The Camel has been the mode of transport for people in the region for centuries and as such a camel derby is part of the way of life. The single humped dromedary is the vehicle of choice and each year in August people gather to celebrate their animals.
The Maralal International Camel Derby is a three day event where everyone is welcome. In fact visitors can also try their hands at riding the camels as the completion is opened to amateurs as well. The people of the region mostly use their animals as pack animals and some only get ridden at the derby.
The Camel Derby certainly brings colour and celebration to the usually arid town and as more and more visitors experience the event the more the town will benefit.
Samburu Maralal International Camel Derby Contacts
Attraction Type: Culture, Special Interest
Category: Community Tourism, Camel Ride
Region: North Rift
Road / Street: Within Maralal
Telephone: 254 65 62456
Entrance Fee: Yes