Shekhar Mehta Biography
Shekhar Mehta( Chandrashekhar Mehta) was born on 20th June 1945 was a Ugandan-born Kenyan rally driver.
He began rallying at the aged 21 and is the young unknown driver. He established himself as one of the top touring and saloon car drivers, in addition to winning Hill Climb Championships in a BMW. But he was rapidly building up his reputation as a fearless driver. He won the Safari Rally a record five times (1973, 1979–82), including four consecutively,and in 1981 finished fifth in the World Rally Championship.
He was voted the East African Motor sportsman of the Year in 1969 but the best was yet to come. His greatest achievement came between 1973 and 1982 when he dominated the Safari Rally in Kenya.
In 1973 he then won the Safari outright in a Datsun Fairlady 240Z (with Lofty Drews) and between 1979 and 1982 he won the Safari 4 times in a row in Datsun Violet 160J (all with Mike Doughty). Later Mehta was the most regular driver in Nissan’s group B Silvia 240RS and his last WRC event was also in a Nissan, in 1987 a groupA Silvia 200SX. If not Nissan/Datsun, the next brand to be synonymous for Shekhar Mehta would be Subaru, because Shekhar was the East African Subaru importer.
In Argentina 1983 Audi entered 4 of their legendary Quattro and took the top4 places, it was Shekhar driving the 4th placed works Quattro! And in Safari 1986 Shekhar Mehta drove the all conquering Peugeot 205 T16. On this occasion he was a disappointing 8th.
- Rosemary Odinga Bows Out of Kibra MP Race
- Chris Kirubi Rubbishes Mike Sonko’s Job Offer as Nairobi’s Economic Advisor
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
In 1997 Shekhar Mehta became president of the world rallies commission.
His last active appearance at the sport was to be a time keeper at a field time control on the non-WRC East African Safari Rally in 2003.
Shekhar Mehta Family
He married his sometime co-driver Yvonne Pratt in 1978 after a ten-year courtship, and they had one son, Vijay, in 1991.
Shekhar Mehta Death
He died on 12th April 2006 from liver problems, hepatitis, and illness relating to complications from an old injury.