A Guide To Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary
Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary is a privately owned wildlife sanctuary in Kenya. It is located in Taita-Taveta County approximately 220 kilometers from Mombasa. The sanctuary covers an area of 28,000 acres (110 km2), and is adjacent to Tsavo West National Park and the LUMO Community Wildlife Sanctuary. It hosts cape buffalo, African bush elephant, African leopard, Masai lion, Tanzanian cheetah, Masai giraffe, zebra, hartebeest, impala, waterbuck, Thomson’s gazelle, lesser kudu, dik-dik, and other smaller animals, including a great diversity of birdlife.
Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary was established in 1972 by Hilton International. The sanctuary has two lodges, the Sarova Salt Lick Game Lodge and the Sarova Taita Hills Game Lodge, both operated by Sarova Hotels.
The Taita Hills lie to the south of Tsavo West and on the fertile land in the saddles between the main peaks the Taita tribe grow a variety of vegetables.
The variety of animals which live in this small 110 sq. km sanctuary are often easier to spot than those in the larger Tsavo Parks.
A variety of short excursions can be made from the Sanctuary. Towards the Tanzania border lie Lakes Jipe and Chala, the former, home of many water birds, while Lake Chala is the deepest crater lake in Africa.
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- Inspiration on the 7 Principles of an Eagle
The nearby Kaisugu Hills were the battle ground of the German forces and the British Army led by General Smuts in the 1914/18 war, and it is here that the formidable Lord Grogan (famous for his walk from Cape to Cairo for the love of a lady) built his home which is locally known as Grogan’s Castle.
The Taita Hills Game Sanctuary provides a safe environment to over 50 species of mammals and 300 species of birds within 28,000 acres of rolling savanna and woodland habitats.
The Sanctuary is a success story in sustainable conservation where wildlife – including elephant, lion, buffalo and giraffe – thrive. Game drives are tightly controlled to ensure that animals are not harassed and some areas are completely closed to vehicles. This commitment to responsible ecotourism, which has been so well supported by visitors, ensures that the Taita Hills Game Sanctuary and all its wildlife will continue to prosper
Things to See at Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary
- Ngulia Rhino Sanctuary: Ngulia Rhino Sanctuary remains a stronghold for black rhinos as well as a breeding ground to help bolster other rhino sanctuaries and wild populations.
- Short Excursion: Towards Tanzania border lie lake Jipe home of many water birds and chalk the deepest Crater lake in the world.
- Mzima Springs in Tsavo West National Park for hippos and crocodiles.
- The Sanctuary is a success story in sustainable conservation where wildlife including elephant, lion, buffalo and giraffe.
Things to Do at Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary
- Nature Walks: Enjoy the scenery and walks with a qualified tour guide.
- Local village visits: Visit the local communities and experience their culture.
- Traditional Bush dinners or bush breakfast: Located at an especially-chosen site for its stunning location, you will experience a delicious freshly-cooked meal in the heart of Africa’s bush.
- Taita Hills Game Sanctuary Game Drives: Sanctuary provides a safe environment to over 50 species of mammals and 300 species of birds within 28,000 acres of rolling savanna and woodland habitats.
- Night Game Drives: Provide guests with an opportunity of seeing animals not usually encountered on day time game-drives.
- Champagne Sundowner’s cocktails at kudu point.
How to get to Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary
Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary is located 400 Kilometers from Nairobi and 200 Kilometers from Mombasa. By air: The sanctuary is 1 hour flight from Nairobi and 30 Minutes from Mombasa by private charter lands at the Sarova Taita Hills Hotel airstrip.
By road: The Sanctuary is a 3 hour drive from Mombasa and a 6 hour drive from Nairobi on tarmac roads.
A Map to Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary
Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary Contacts
Attraction Type: Wildlife
Category: Animal Sanctuary, Birding Site
City / Town: Voi
Road / Street: Off Mombasa Road
Telephone: 254 718 988717
Entrance Fee: Yes