A Guide To Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary
Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary is a privately owned wildlife sanctuary in Kenya. It is located in Taita-Taveta County approximately 220 kilometers from Mombasa. The sanctuary covers an area of 28,000 acres (110 km2), and is adjacent to Tsavo West National Park and the LUMO Community Wildlife Sanctuary. It hosts cape buffalo, African bush elephant, African leopard, Masai lion, Tanzanian cheetah, Masai giraffe, zebra, hartebeest, impala, waterbuck, Thomson’s gazelle, lesser kudu, dik-dik, and other smaller animals, including a great diversity of birdlife.
Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary was established in 1972 by Hilton International.  The sanctuary has two lodges, the Sarova Salt Lick Game Lodge and the Sarova Taita Hills Game Lodge, both operated by Sarova Hotels.
The Taita Hills lie to the south of Tsavo West and on the fertile land in the saddles between the main peaks the Taita tribe grow a variety of vegetables.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
The variety of animals which live in this small 110 sq. km sanctuary are often easier to spot than those in the larger Tsavo Parks.
A variety of short excursions can be made from the Sanctuary. Towards the Tanzania border lie Lakes Jipe and Chala, the former, home of many water birds, while Lake Chala is the deepest crater lake in Africa.
The nearby Kaisugu Hills were the battle ground of the German forces and the British Army led by General Smuts in the 1914/18 war, and it is here that the formidable Lord Grogan (famous for his walk from Cape to Cairo for the love of a lady) built his home which is locally known as Grogan’s Castle.
The Taita Hills Game Sanctuary provides a safe environment to over 50 species of mammals and 300 species of birds within 28,000 acres of rolling savanna and woodland habitats.
The Sanctuary is a success story in sustainable conservation where wildlife – including elephant, lion, buffalo and giraffe – thrive. Game drives are tightly controlled to ensure that animals are not harassed and some areas are completely closed to vehicles. This commitment to responsible ecotourism, which has been so well supported by visitors, ensures that the Taita Hills Game Sanctuary and all its wildlife will continue to prosper
Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary Contacts
Attraction Type: Wildlife
Category: Animal Sanctuary, Birding Site
City / Town: Voi
Road / Street: Off Mombasa Road
Telephone: 254 718 988717
Entrance Fee: Yes
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/