Ministry of Tourism in Kenya
Ministry of Tourism in Kenya: Tourism is one of the most important social-economic sectors in Kenya. The sector contributes about 10 percent of the GDP and employs about 9 percent of the total wage workforce in the country. The sector has high multiplier effects as its growth stimulates further development in other sectors of the economy.
The Kenya Vision 2030 recognizes the importance of the sector and envisages Kenya to be among the leading long haul tourist destinations in the world, offering a high – end diverse and distinctive visitor experience.
Over the years, tourism has become an extremely competitive business. This necessitates a paradigm shift in the development and management of the sector. The focus must shift from the traditional tourism products to sustainable tourism. It is therefore imperative that tourism is developed and managed in a controlled, integrated and sustainable manner.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
To ensure that tourism follows a sustainable path, the Department of Tourism is mandated with provision of clear direction and leadership in the tourism policy and development in the country by Executive Order No.2 of 2013. In this regard, the Department plays the role of overseeing and coordinating all inclusive processes of policy direction, planning, product development and diversification.
Mandate of the Department of Tourism
The Department of Tourism is responsible for tourism policy, management and product development. The mandate is derived from the Executive Order No.2/2013 and the Tourism Act, 2011. The Department develops the National Tourism Strategy and matters related to policy formulation, coordination, planning and research, product development and International Cooperation activities in the field of tourism.
Functions of the Ministry of Tourism in Kenya
The functions of the Ministry of Tourism include:-
Planning and Policy-making: Overall tourism policy formulation, implementation, monitoring and review in collaboration with stakeholders.
Overall co-ordination: Liaise and coordinate with international, regional and local institutions on tourism issues.
Resource mobilization: Internal external resource mobilization in consultation with the Treasury for the development of tourism;
Facilitation: Establishment of an enabling legal and regulatory framework, promotion of local and foreign investments, safety and security of tourists, and conservation of biodiversity.
Product development and diversification: Development of viable tourism products and promotion of community participation in tourism.
Capacity development: Coordinating capacity development and setting of standards in the hospitality industry.
Research and development: Undertake and coordinate research in the sector.
In this respect, the Department is responsible for overall guidance and policy coordination for all State Corporations under its jurisdiction.
Ministry of Tourism in Kenya- Tourism Divisions
The department of tourism is structured into three technical divisions, that is, Tourism Policy Planning and Strategy, Tourism Product Market Development and Tourism Relations Division. To effectively execute its mandate, the Directorate is structured into three Divisions. These three divisions are:-
Ministry of Tourism Kenya – Tourism Policy Division
Objectives of the Division Tourism Policy Division
- Formulation and implement the National Tourism Policy
- Formulate and oversee the implementation of the National Tourism Strategy every five years
- Implement Tourism Satellite Account project
- Participate in the implementation of Vision 2030 Sector Plans
- Initiate the development of National Tourism Master Plan
- Develop a framework for tourism development and management planning to inform county tourism development
- Develop Integrated Tourism Area Development Plans to enhance uniformity and sustainable use of shared tourism resources across Counties
Ministry of Tourism Kenya – Tourism Relations Division
Objectives of the Tourism Relations Division
- Development and implementation of Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) and Agreements of Co-operation between Kenya and other countries on tourism issues.
- Establish joint commissions for the implementation of the MoUs and Agreements
- Development and implementation of multilateral agreements
- Participation in the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) policy decision making processes
- Implementation of the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) resolutions and policies
- Collaborate with other UN specialized organs such as UNEP, UNDP, UN-HABITAT, UNCTAD, ILO, etc.
- Ensure Kenya’s tourism interests are well taken care of within the EAC and other regional economic blocs such as COMESA, NEPAD, etc.
- Facilitate and coordinate international and local tourism trade negotiations
- Mainstream into the tourism sector, tourism-related statutes, protocols and conventions to which Kenya is a signatory such as CITES, UNFCC, WTO, etc.
- Coordinate Inter-ministerial engagement to address cross-cutting issues including security, infrastructure, energy, environment, etc that affect tourism
- Coordinate Multi-Stakeholder forums for the purpose of interaction, sharing information and ensuring harmonization of tourism development
- Identification and promotion of programs and projects for Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) to enhance sustainable development of the tourism sector.
- Coordinate development and implementation of Tourism Crisis Management Strategy
- Establish and oversee the management of Tourism Sector Safety, Communications and Crisis Management
Centre in collaboration with the government agencies and other stakeholders such as Kenya Wildlife Service and Kenya
- Tourism Federation
- Enhance collaboration between relevant Government security agencies, private sector and local communities in provision of security and safety to both hosts and visitors.
- Liaison with Tourism Police Unit in matters of tourism security
- Monitoring of travel advisories and respond to emerging threats
- Ensure continuous training on safety and security matters in the tourism industry
Ministry of Tourism Kenya – Tourism Product Development Division
Objectives of the Tourism Product Development Division
- Formulate strategies for effective tourism product development and diversification
- Promote and encourage the development of diverse tourism product across the supply chain focusing on value addition.
- Promote modern and cost effective uptake of e-tourism
- Undertake tourism marketing intelligence research and market analysis to inform marketing policies and strategies
- Produce, document and disseminate of tourism products and services information
- Establish Tourism Information Centers and signages.
- Sensitize and create awareness on tourism products development for SMEs in Tourism.
Ministry of Tourism in Kenya Management
Cabinet Secretary: Hon. Najib Balala
Principal Secretary: Mrs. Fatuma Hirsi Mohamed
Ministry of Tourism Kenya Contacts
Physical Location: Teleposta Towers, 18th floor, Kenyatta Avenue
Postal Address: P.O. Box 30027-00100 Nairobi, KENYA
Tel: +254 (020) 3313010
Cellphone: +254 710 601 103
Fax: +254 (020) 3318043/5
E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Ministry of Tourism Kenya Video
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/