President Uhuru Kenyatta Appoints Wafula Chebukati New IEBC Boss
President Uhuru Kenyatta has appointed Wafula Chebukati as the new IEBC chairman, following his approval by Parliament.
Uhuru also appointed commissioners Consolata Nkatha, Bucha Maina, Boya Molu, Roselyn Akombe, Paul Kurgat, Margaret Wanjala Mwachanya and Abdi Guliye.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
The seven form the new team replacing Issack Hassan and his team of commissioners who resigned in October last year.
The President earlier met the outgoing officials and thanked them for their service to the nation.
In a statement to media houses on Wednesday, Uhuru congratulated the new officials and expressed confidence that they will deliver their mandate.
He urged all Kenyans to support the team tasked with managing the August 8 general election.
Parliament approved Chebukati in a hotly contested debate, saying the vetting by the Legal Affairs team found him qualified for the job.
Uhuru nominates Wafula Chebukati to succeed Issack Hassan as IEBC boss
Wanyonyi Wafula Chebukati: President Uhuru Kenyatta has presented to Parliament the names of individuals nominated to head the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).
Should Parliament approve of the candidates, Mr Wafula Chebukati will become the chairman of the commission, having beaten his fellow Coast-based lawyer, Mr Tukero ole Kina, to the finish line.
Members of the new-look IEBC would include Ms Consolata Nkatha Bucha Maina, Mr Boya Molu, Dr Roselyne Kwamboka Akombe, Dr Paul Kibiwott Kurgat, Ms Margaret Wanjala Mwachanya and Prof Abdi Guliye.
The Selection Panel chaired by Ms Bernadette Musundi had on Thursday last week presented the final shortlist, which included 11 candidates, to the President.
Also nominated for commissioner were Prof Abdi Yakub Guliye, Prof Henry Kizito Okola, Mr Zephania Okeyo Aura and Mr Samuel Kimeu but they did not make it.
The change of guard at the IEBC follows repeated accusations by the opposition against the sitting commissioners on their incompetence in handling the General Election in 2013.
Wafula Chebukati Nominated to head IEBC
The IEBC selection panel has nominated High Court advocate Tukero ole Kina and Wafula Chebukati for chairman and nine others as commissioners.
The commissioner nominees include Zephania Okeyo Aura, Roselyne Kwamboka Akombe, Professor Abdi Yakub Guliye and Professor Henry Kizito Okola.
The others include Samuel Kimeu, Ambassador Dr Paul Kibiwott Kurgat, Boya Molu, Consolata Nkatha Bucha Maina and Margaret Wanjala Mwachanya
The nominees now await vetting by Parliament before their names are presented to President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Selection panel chairperson Bernadette Musundi said the process was guided by commitment to ensuring free, fair and transparent selection.
Musundi said the candidates were assessed for academic and professional qualifications, leadership and integrity, ICT and presentation skills, general knowledge and technical proficiency and competencies.
She said the most suitable people were picked from a list of 15 who applied for chairperson and 748 who applied for the positions of commissioners.
Musundi said the panel also took into account the reports of the various agencies, memoranda received on some of the applicants and their responses to the two.
She said Kina and Chebukati were chosen as they demonstrated the ability to run the IEBC and ensure a credible August 8, 2017 general election.
Musundi praised the panel for dedication and a speedy yet professional process. Other members are Evans Monari, Mary Karen, Tom Mbaluto, Olga Chepkemoi, Peter Karanja, Abdulghafur el-Busaidy, David Oginde and Mohan Lumba.
The chairperson also thanked the Parliamentary Service Commission for providing facilities and ensuring a conducive working environment.
The select committee re-advertised the posts after the first five applicants failed to meet the requirements.
Wanyonyi Wafula Chebukati Biography
Born in 1961 , graduated from the University of Nairobi in 1985 with a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) degree and was admitted to the roll of Advocates in 1986. Wanyonyi Wafula Chebukati has a Master’s degree in Business Administration from JKUAT.
Wanyonyi Wafula Chebukati is the Lead Counsel in the Nairobi office having practiced for 30 years. Wafula Chebukati is the head of Commercial labour and Employment Laws divisions, Landlord / Tenant and Conveyancing & treaties.
Wanyonyi Wafula Chebukati Career
- Practice of Law as a sole practitioner and expansive experience in Civil litigation, criminal jurisprudence and labour / employment law.
- Has specialized legal practice in the fields of International commerce, trade and investment law. Corporate law and governance, product liability, litigation and environmental law.
- Trained in legislative drafting, policy formulation and research to all aspects of legislative drafting.
- Has served as a Council member of the law society of Kenya, Captain and chairman both Mombasa and Nyali Golf club and as a committee member of the Kenya Golf union.
- Currently he is a member of the Kenya Golfing Society.
Wafula Chebukati Family
Details about Wafula Chebukati family will be updated soon.
Wafula Chebukati Video
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/