Wahu Kagwi Biography
Wahu Kagwi whose full name is Rosemary Wahu Kagwi was born in 1980. She is is a Kenyan singer, songwriter, former fashion model, actress and entrepreneur.
She released her first single “Niangalie” which received positive reception all over Africa and the world at large. She is the inaugural recipient of the MTV Africa Music Awards 2008, for Best Female Artist category. Moreover, she has won the Pearl of Africa Music Awards, Chaguo La Teeniez Awards and Kisima Music Awards.
She also acted in a leading role in the popular television show, Tazama on KTN. Currently the Brand Ambassador – REXONA, Kenya, and part of a team of Kenyan artists associated with Safaricom Kenya Live.
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
Undergraduate student at the University of Nairobi, Degree in Mathematics
Secondary school student at Precious Blood Riruta, KCSE
Wahu Kagwi Music Career
While in high school she and her friend wrote their first song ‘showers of blessing’ in celebration of their impressive KCSE performance. The song was so good that its still used as the ‘school anthem’
While in Nairobi used in 2000, she released her first three singles were “Niangalie”, “Esha” and “Liar”.
Her first song ‘ Niangalie’ drew the attention of renowned CBN presenter Victor Oladokhun, who aired it on his ‘TURNING POINT’ program, and was seen by millions all across the world.
Her second song ‘ Esha ‘ was a fusion of English Swahili and Kikuyu based on a traditional Kikuyu folk song, and inspired by the late Brenda Fassie The success enjoyed by these songs encouraged her to write ” Liar ” and ” Sitishiki ” both of which have and continue to enjoy extensive airplay both locally and regionally.
Some of her music has been produced by the Ogopa DJ’s. Wahu has entertained audiences alongside many Kenyan and African Artistes like Kleptomaniacs, Fally Ipupa, Nonini, Nameless, Wyre, Qqu, and P-Unit.
Her musical prowess has not only seen her work alongside prominent companies on promotional material, but has also facilitated her travels across the world on international tours, sharing stages with prominent international music icons such as Sean Paul and Wayne Wonder.
Wahu Kagwi Songs
- Still a liar
- For You
- Sweet Love
- Hadi Lini
Wahu Kagwi Wedding, Husband and Family
Wahu is married to another award-winning Kenyan musician David Mathenge (Nameless)
Wahu Kagwi Daughter
Wahu has two daughters Tumiso Nyakwea and Nyakio.
Wahu Kagwi Age
Wahu Kagwi was born in 1980
Wahu Kagwi Facebook and Twitter
Wahu Kagwi – Awards
- MTV Africa Music Awards 2008 – Best Female Artist
- 2008 Pearl of Africa Music Awards – Best Female Artist (Kenya)
- 2008 CHAT Awards – Favourite Female Artiste
- 2008 Kisima Awards – Best Song (“Sweet Love”) & Best Reggae Artiste/Group
- 2010 Tanzania music awards – Best Reggae Song (‘Leo (Reggae remix)’ with AY)
- 2006 Pearl of Africa Music Awards – Best Kenyan Female Artiste
- MTV Africa Music Awards 2008 – Best Newcomer
- 2008 MOBO Awards – Best African Act
- 2008 Kora Awards – Best Artiste or Group from East Africa (not yet held)
- 2009 Tanzania Music Awards – Best East African Song (“Sweet Love”)
- 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards – Best Video (“Little Things You Do” with Bobi Wine)
- 2009 Channel O Music Video Awards – Best African East & Best Ragga Dancehall Video (“Sweet Love”)
- 2011 Tanzania Music Awards – Best Song and Best Collaboration Song (‘Mkono Mmoja’ with Chege & Temba)
Wahu – 10 Things You Didnt Know About Wahu Kagwi
- Wahu is a confessed shoe-holic, she finds it hard to walk past a good deal where a shoe is concerned and has racks upon racks of shoes.
- A romantic, Wahu had her first crush when she was just seven years old.
- After clearing high school, Wahu wanted to go to a hair dressing school, but her mum would hear none of it.
- She grew, yet, another idea to apply for an airhostess job.
- Although she is scared of the dark, she has to act all brave so that her little girl doesn’t freak out.
- For facial care, Wahu Kagwi usually uses raw potatoes, tomatoes and cucumber; she terms the inexpensive treatment as ‘very effective’.
- For her to fall asleep, Wahu Kagwi needs noise, so the television or music system is always on even in late hours of the night.
- Just like her husband Nameless, Wahu still gets stage fright when getting on stage — many years later in showbiz.
- Wahu Kagwi hates driving manual cars, especially on hills.
- She is a sucker for avocados; she can eat them with anything from bread, beans, ugali to fries.