A Guide To Wajir Museum
The Wajir Museum was officially open on 19th April, 2011.
The Wajir Museum houses an exhibition that reflects traditions and the customs of communities living in this Northern part of Kenya.The theme of the exhibition is “A Window to Northern Kenya”.
It is a part of initiatives to open up Northern Kenya to the tourism industry forming a part of the tourist attractions that will offer distinctive products in the region.
History of Wajir
Wajir was occupied in 1912, to prevent the Boranas from being driven away from the Wells which originally belonged to them by other tribes. British Officers arrived at Wajir in 1913.
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best News, Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/
In 1921 the military took over the administration of the district until September 1925, when it reverted to civil administration in 1928, the boundary was shifted North of Modo Gashe to the line of Uaso Nyiro and Lake Dera. unitl 1917, Bulsesa was a sub-district of Wajir but in 1918, Wajir became a district of its own.
The headquaters of Wajir was evacuated in 1940 during the Italian invasion. save for that period, Wajir has remained a full district since 1918.
Communities of Northern Kenya
They live a nomadic way of life in a semi arid environment which supports camel, cattle, sheep, goats and donkeys.The Elmolo are fishermen while the Dasanach prectice agro-pastrolism.
Accesibility: Road, Air.
Wajir town is a host to several other Sites and Monuments among them the Wagalla Massacre Site, Yahut dam, Shaletey wells, monumental buildings, the british bunkers and Orpahey wells.
- Old homes build by Italian Prisoners
- Old court house
- British/ Italian War Bunkers
- Orahey wells
Wajir Museum Contacts
Attraction Type: Culture
Category: Cultural Museum, Art Gallery, Community Tourism
City / Town: Wajir
Road / Street: Isiolo-Mandera Road
Telephone: +254 20 374 2131, +254 721 308485
Entrance Fee: Yes
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- Inspiration on the 7 Principles of an Eagle