Zain Verjee Biography
Zain Verjee was born on 11th February 1974 in Nairobi, Kenya. She is the founder and CEO of Zain Verjee group. She is a journalist who has worked with CNN as an anchor, reporter and profound interviewer.
Zain Verjee Group tell stories that connect, educate and transform. It brings the African story to the world and we provide quality content about the continent to African audiences. ZVM develops global business features and lifestyle programming that is entertaining and educational.
She is passionate about capturing the new narrative of Africa from authentically African voices. Zain is currently building aKoma, a storytelling and content platform for Africa. aKoma is in a private beta and is looking to launch in 2016. The aKoma team is building a base of content creators at www.akomanet.com
Since joining CNN in 2000, Zain has covered numerous world events and has interviewed some of the most influential men and women of our time. Zain covered the US State Department for CNN USA for two years closely following American foreign policy and travelling with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
Before leaving CNN in April 2014, Verjee was the anchor of CNN International’s European daytime program “World One”. She also worked as a newsreader for The Situation Room, as a State Department correspondent and as a co-anchor of CNN International’s Your World Today with Jim Clancy.
Zain Verjee Age
Zain was born on 11 February 1974 in Nairobi, Kenya. She is 44 years as of 2018.
Zain Verjee Education Background
Zain went to Hillcrest Prep School and Hillcrest Secondary School in Nairobi, following the British private school education system. She did three A level subjects; English, History and Economics. She received her undergraduate degree in English from McGill University in Montreal. Zain is currently enrolled at Oxford University in England and is pursuing her Masters of Studies degree in Creative Writing.
Zain Verjee Work Experience
April 2014 – Present: Founder & CEO of Zain Verjee Group London, United Kingdom
- They create content through through short video production, creating special series and documentaries, all with strong digital components. Zain Verjee Group (ZVG) conceptualises, writes, edits, produces, and presents content. We partner with digital entities, TV networks, and mobile providers to distribute our content.
- ZVG owns aKoma Media (akomanet.com) which is an open source digital storytelling platform focused on African content. They work with their a Koma Tribe of content creators, that are core to our communities, and our commitment to telling Africa’s story from local African perspectives. They are currently in a private beta and will open aKoma to a public beta in June 2016.
March 2000 – April 2014: Anchor at CNN London, United Kingdom
- Her responsibilities include : Hosting a daily news show, occasional feature shows often with an Africa specific focus, interviewing news makers, reporting from the field on major stories, packaging stories, handling live breaking news both on set and on location, writing long form pieces, writing anchor copy, creative ideas for TV, using and understanding digital platforms and mentoring.
January 1998 – March 2000: Anchor and Reporter at Kenya Television Network
January 1996 – January 2000: Radio Presenter at 98.4 Capital FM
Zain Verjee Photo
Zain Verjee CNN
Before this, she presented Inside Africa but she rose to prominence while presenting CNN International’s flagship news program Your World Today.
Before joining CNN in 2000, she worked as a presenter of Kenya KTN TV’s hard-hitting interview program, The Third Opinion which has since been discontinued.
Verjee joined CNN in 2000, prior to which she was a news reader on Kenya Television Network, Nairobi. She has covered world events such as the Agra Summit between Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee of India and PresidentPervez Musharraf of Pakistan, the conflict in the Middle East, the trial of former Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milošević, the September 11 attacks, the Hajj and the war in Iraq. She also reports about African business news for the weekly program “Inside Africa”, which offers an in-depth look into news on the continent.
1. 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
2. Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
3. 20 Things Women Should Never Do
4. Top 20 Things Men Should Never Do
5. 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
6. 25 Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
7. 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do
8. Things You do That are Killing Your Kidneys
She has published a book titled ‘Live & on Air’. Her book is about a young girl’s experience going to Nairobi to Kenya to pursue her dream of becoming a journalist. Verjee has also produced successful radio campaigns spreading awareness of HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B, and Polio.
Zain Verjee Leaves CNN
Verjee left CNN in 2014 after working for 14 years as an anchor and correspondent.
Zain Verjee aKoma
Verjee is the founder of aKoma. aKoma is a storytelling and content platform for Africa. Their mission is to boldly astonish, delight and engage the world about Africa and its people; By relentlessly delivering stories that capture the essential vibe of the continent, showcasing amazing storytelling talent and do it better than anyone else.
Zain Verjee Twitter
Zain Verjee Instagram
Zain Verjee Video