Co-operative in Kenya have played a critical role in the processing and marketing of major agricultural commodities, supply and distribution of farm inputs and services and mobilization of savings through Savings and Credit Co-operatives Societies (SACCOs).
Given the strategic role played by the commodities and services dealt with by co-operatives in the overall economic growth
and development of the Kenyan economy and society.
There are great opportunities for investors to partner with cooperatives in;
- Manufacturer and or blending of fertilizer for redistribution to farmer based cooperative societies.
- Development of biogas technology and encouraging individual members to go into biogas production where dairy farming is successful;
- Food and agro-processing and packaging to add value to primary agricultural commodities;
- Secondary processing of cotton and pyrethrum into higher value branded final products;
- Development of eco-tourism facilities in partnership with SACCOS and Co-opeative societies owning commercial plots and ranches in designated tourism circuits (Eldama Ravine, Kericho in the Rift Valley Province, Kisumu in Nyanza Province, Kakamega in Western Province and Nyeri, Kirinyaga, Meru and Laikipia in Central Province).
- Dairy development through establishment of milk preservation and processing facilities.
- Construction of resource centres that combines hotel rooms, library and small groups meeting halls, dining, cyber café, plenary hall and laundry mart, salon and gymnasium;
- Investment in motorized fishing vessels for deep sea fishing at the coastal marine resource, jointly with established fisheries co-operative societies; establishment of fish processing plants and provision of refrigerated vehicles;
- Value addition in coffee through processing into branded products for export and local consumption;
- Investment in co-operatives’ managed marketing services, dipping and Artificial Insemination (AI) services to actualize Disease Free Zones for production of premium beef and animals;
- Investment in co-operatives managed medium and large scale farming and housing schemes;
- Improving access to agricultural credit: facilitation of SACCOSs to develop innovative financial products, facilitation of partnerships between SACCOs and marketing cooperatives for financing inputs and produce marketing; and
- Production and marketing of ICT software and hardware to encourage standardization and use of tailor-made packages.