Inspire. Inform. Involve.  

Malindi Airport



Malindi Airport is 2.5km west of Malindi town in the rich historical town within the Indian Ocean seafront. The airport’s secondary runway is linked with the apron by a liaison taxiway 15m wide. The apron is about 4,500m square and can accommodate two aircraft of F-50 type.

The passenger terminal building is a single storey 300m square. It is composed of three main parts:

• A terminal consisting of a common arrival/departure hall, including a bar, cafeteria, ticketing office, check-in weighing desk and embarkation lounge.

•An office block for airport staff

• A private VIP lounge is on the apron side near a small garden

Malindi Airport is equipped with a meteorological station installed behind the fire station. The fuel farm on the western side of the apron has a storage capacity of 15 cubic metres of AV-GAS and 35 of JET-A1. The control tower and ATC block are to the west of the terminal.

This is a two-storey building with a visual control room on the upper floor.

Malindi became famous and by the 1820s and 1830s, the presence of European holiday makers increased.

By 1944 and after the Second World War hotels were built on the sea front. Among these was Eden Roc, founded by Lord Cahn. A small airstrip was put up within the hotel — that was the birth of Malindi Airport.

By the late 1960s, European tourists flew directly to Malindi after transiting at Nairobi Airport. As traffic grew, the airstrip was overwhelmed and in 1958, the colonial government moved the airport to its present location.

While the founders’ dream of direct international flights has not been realized, Kenya Airports Authority, who took over the management of the facility in 1992, is about to make this a reality.

Currently, Malindi Airport serves domestic routes and international charters that enable the inter-national society sample the rich coastal tourist sites and relax fine sand beaches.

 



Loading...