Ideally, the National Committee on Educational Objectives and Policies of 1976, thereafter referred to as Gachathi Commission, was set up to evaluate Kenya’s education system, deﬁne new set of educational goals of the second decade of independence and formulate programmes to stem rural – urban migration, propose plans to promote employment creation and to suggest how to cut education budget from 15 percent to seven per cent.
In a nutshell, the Gachathi Committee argued that diversification of the school curriculum to include pre – vocational subject would relate better to the social and economic needs of the country rather than the examination related education, which concentrated on the cognitive abilities of the learner.
It further observed that although the Government had introduced agriculture and technical subjects in secondary schools, the expected result of making school leavers more employable had not Worked out Well.
- INTERIOR CABINET SECRETARY JOSEPH NKAISSERY IS DEAD
- Gems of Wisdom: Secret of Success in Life
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
- Top 20 Things Men Should Never, Ever, Do
- How to Succeed in Life and Business – The Hedgehog Concept
- 7 Facts Fathers Never Tell Their Sons about Women
- The Health Value of Kissing Passionately Will Surprise You
- Memorable Speech by Idi Amin
It noted that students regarded agriculture as an academic subject leading to a certiﬁcate rather than motivating them towards agricultural activities. The Gachathi Commission came up With 338 recommendations.
Gachathi Commission Members
Its members were:
- Peter I. Gachathi (Chairman)
- Prof Joseph M. Mungai (Vice-Chairman)
- Ambrose A. Adongo
- Zachariah K. Gakunju
- John H. Gitau
- Juma Boy
- John G. Gatu
- Rev Fr Joachim Gitonga
- Elisha D. Godana
- Dr Albert J. Maleche
- John N. Michuki
- Giddiel R. M ’Mwirichia
- Josephat Mutugi
- Samuel Kihumba
- James S. Mburu
- Dr Michael Migue
- Harris Mule
- Kyale Mwendwa
- Joseph H. Oyugi
- Lt – Col Gordon Swansbury
- Prof Simeon H. Ominde
- Julia. K. Ramtu
- Joan W. Waithaka
- Ayub H. Muraya
- Leonard E. Ngugi
The Gachathi Commission Report Video
Gachathi Commission Recommendations
Some of the key recommendations of the Gachathi Commission Report of 1976 were the proposed nine-year basic education for all children in Kenya, stronger practical orientation in the secondary school curriculum and establishment of the Kenya National Examinations Council.
The Gachathi Commission report called for the integration of all Harambee secondary schools into the public school system, make Kiswahili a compulsory subject in primary schools, proposal to establish the Commission for Higher Education and offer external degree programmes at the University of Nairobi.
Join us at Softkenya Group where we share our best Quotes, Stories, Poems, Excerpts, Sermons, Messages, Personal Experiences and Useful guides... The SOFTKENYA COMMUNITY --- Join us Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1217813621643464/