Gemstones in Kenya
Three of the four priciest gems in the world have been found in Kenya. In a prospect that places mining sector ahead of tourism, tea and coffee combined, mineral dealers say Gemstones in Kenya has emeralds, sapphire and ruby.
Gemstones in Kenya – Occurrence
Gemstone in Kenya occurs in different geological settings. However, although some gemstone deposits are associated with Tertiary volcanic rocks such as the Turkana sapphire deposit, most of them are located within the Pan African Mozambique Orogenic Belt.
Gemstones in Kenya – Categories
Gemstones in Kenya are highly variegated, and can be classified into four categories:
- Magmatic deposits include apatite, feldspar, tourmaline and/or beryl bearing pegmatites, and sapphire bearing monzonitic pegmatoids.
- Metamorphic deposits are the result of isochemical or sub-isochemical metamorphism, they include a wide range of deposits of gemstones such as kornerupine, moonstone, tourmaline, garnet, ruby and sapphire.
- Metasomatic deposits are very common in the Mozambique Belt and usually produce gemstones of high quality. They are the result of interactions between various lithologies and fluids under metamorphic conditions.
- Metasomatic deposits include some tourmaline ruby and sapphire deposits as well as most iolite and rhodolite deposits.
- Last, hydrothermal deposits include tanzanite and amethyst deposits.”
Gemstones in Kenya
A comprehensive list of all companies that deal with gemstones in Kenya, their addresses (postal and physical), contacts (telephone and e-mail) and a link to the gems in Kenya companies websites.
List of Gems in Kenya Companies
Add Your Business to Softkenya Directory
Softkenya Business Directory lists thousands of Kenyan companies and businesses. To Add your business to the directory Visit: Add Your Business To Directory. To make changes to the content aready in the directory, Send us an email to email@example.com indicating the proposed changes and your business page URL. All Services are FREE.